What do I win? - Young Derek

The school hallways were almost empty. Except for the basketball team in the indoors gym, some people at the library, the parking lot and yourself at the art room. Your final project was due tomorrow and it was turning out harder than expected. Painting was natural to you. Landscapes, pop art, even abstract designs were easy for you, but portraits, those were another story. Over the last two hours you've tried reproducing a decent portrait, yet, it proved to be impossible.

With a groan you tore the page from your block to start a new portrait. Inspiration was slowly coming to you, when suddenly yelling and laughter distracted you. "Great, the basketball team is done" you mumbled rolling your eyes. Not only were they an annoying and obnoxious group of sweaty teenagers during school hours, they also were annoying after school. You continued to work on the shading of your ... kind of portrait.

BANG!!

The basketball hit the door, scaring the crap out of you, making you fall from your bench. You quickly got up, and when you looked at the big black line across the face of your now ruined work you lost it.

"Could you shut the hell up!?!" You yelled as you stormed into the hallway.

"There are people trying to work. Have some respect! Why do you even have a ball in the hallway? There's a reason we have a gym."

The whole team turn to look at you, some with fear and others threw annoyed glances at your direction, except for a brunette boy. The dark-haired boy holding the basketball looked surprised and a little amused. As you glared at him you took in his appearance. He had black dishevelled hair, probably from training, his green eyes were deep and innocent, somehow they seemed older, wiser, and they contrasted with the cocky smirk formed by his pink lips. He scoffed.

"I'll tell you what. If you manage to take the ball from me not only will we leave in silence, I'll also take you out this Friday night. You in?" He said as he rolled the basketball on his finger. You could hear his friends snickering and mumbling praises and jokes.

"How is a date with you considered a prize?" You asked with a smirk of your own.

A chorus of "Ohh's" and "Damn's" followed your remark. He didn't seem happy. "Damn, Derek. She got you" Some boy told Mr. Cocky.

"So, Derek, any better offers?" You taunted. His smile turned into a thin line, he was angry. He... growled? You swore he growled at you. Was that even possible? Suddenly, he walked into your personal space and looked directly into your eyes. You could feel a chill running down your back and your heart beat going faster.

"Let me think" he whispered with a sly smile. Those green eyes were even more beautiful from this distance. Wait! What the hell? The dude is practically in threatening mode and you're thinking about how his eyes resemble the green of the woods during winter. Stop it! You scolded yourself.

"So? What do you say?" Derek asked. Taking a couple steps back, ball in hand and eyebrow rose in question.

"Come again?" You were too busy with your thoughts you missed the new offer.

He chuckled. "If you, somehow, manage to take the ball from my hands, I'll carry your books and art crap for you until the end of the month" You smiled at that. "AND I'll take you out at least once." He said that last bit with a huge grin.

You did not see that coming. You pondered on your options, it would be nice to have someone carry you heavy bag with art supplies, but, was it worth spending more time with him? Cocky personality aside, he did seem nice and it didn't hurt that he was one of the best looking boys you've seen in school.

"Hey! I'm not getting any younger" someone yelled interrupting you inner battle. Derek laughed, you rolled your eyes. "Fine, I accept"

Your audience moved to the side giving you guys more space. You rolled your sleeves as he took a stand in front of you. He began bouncing the ball with a taunting smile. "What's your name?" he asked confidently.

"That information wasn't part of the deal" you said looking at the ball. You tried to remember what you were taught. Silently, you thanked your father and brothers for forcing you to play each and every sport known by men with them. Sharing a roof with a bunch of males certainly had its perks.

You ducked for the ball, but Derek dodged you expertly. "Come on, you can do better than that" he taunted you. The boys were looking with expectation. Derek moved fast and with confidence, but you were slowly catching up. You began to move faster, with more precision. What felt like hours were only minutes and you could see Derek's confident smile faltering a little.

You kept repeating you father's words in your mind: "Look for a blind point, a weakness"; and you did. You slowed down and observed. There! Derek would bounce the ball three times and then pass it to his other hand. You counted. One, you walked closer. Two, you prepared your stand. Three! You ducked in, faster and with more precision this time.

You squealed as you held the ball in your hands. Derek's face quickly changed from confusion to shock. You could hear the boys' laments, so dramatic, and even some cheers for you. You tossed the ball to some guy and went back to the classroom for your stuff.

"Catch!" you yelled at Derek as you threw your school and art bags to him. He effortlessly caught them and began to follow you to the parking lot. You yelled your goodbyes to the boys, who were making fun of a sulking Derek.

You opened the door to your car. "Put them there" you instructed. He did as instructed, with what seemed to be a pout. "Aww, come on Derek, don't be a sore loser" you walked towards him. For some reason you couldn't stand seeing him upset, even if it mean you won. "Come on, it won't be so bad" you reasoned.

"You're right" he said as he grabbed you by the waist and delicately pushed against your car. Your hands went up to his chest in a reflex; you held his shirt in your fists as he slowly leaned towards you.

"I'll get to see you everyday" he whispered coming closer. You gulped. A small smirked formed in his lips; he could sense your nervousness. Heck, you bet he even could hear your hammering heart. "And let's not forget that date too," you practically felt his lips moving against yours.

"Well, see you tomorrow" he said suddenly walking back. You frowned at the space between you two. He gave you a bright smile and began walking in the direction of what you supposed was his car.

"Y/N!" you yelled. "Huh?" he turned towards you confused. "Y/N. It is my name" you said just loud enough for him to hear you. He smiled. "Alright, see you tomorrow, Y/N" he answered. He continued the walk to his car. You smiled and drove home.

When you got home you went straight to your room and began drawing. The next day you handed in your final project: the portrait of a dark-haired boy with green eyes and a flirty smirk. You got an A+.