𝟎𝟖. 𝐯𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝

CHAPTER EIGHT
visiting an old friend

YASMINE MCCALL

Jennifer smiled at me as I walked by her, her falling into pace with me. "Hey Yasmine."

"Hey Jennifer," I greeted back and walked into his room. "I haven't been here for so long."

"It hasn't been that long. I'm sure that Peter will just appreciate you being here." She told me and placed a tray of medicine on the table before walking out, closing the door behind her.

I sat down on a chair just across from Peter and grimaced a little, placing a hand on his. "Hi, Peter. I'm so sorry that I haven't been here for so long, but I've just been busy with Scott who's been having some issues. I hope you don't like me not stopping by for so long."

Peter Hale was a man who'd been catatonic for years now and couldn't move or do anything. He'd been in a bad fire years ago and while it killed most of his family, he managed to get out and get away, but with some serious damage. Feeling sorry for this man, I volunteered to come here a few days in a week and read a story or just talk to him so that he wouldn't be completely stuck in his own mind. It hadn't hit me before I walked in that he was related to Derek Hale, but if werewolves healed fast, like I read on a website, why wasn't Peter healed yet? I'm guessing that it was possible that not every Hale family member was a werewolf. It didn't matter, because Peter had nothing to do with any of this. He was just a poor man sitting in this room most of the time, just thinking and listening to everything around him.

"Scott has been killing me." I told Peter, telling him how my day had been like I did almost every time I came here. "He's in love with this amazing girl named Allison, but because of the problem he's going through, he has to be careful around her. Jackson is being a dick as usual and trying to make Scott look bad. Scott recently became amazingly good at lacrosse, he's first line and scored the winning score at the game this weekend. Lydia is just interfering with Scott and Allison relationship by inviting herself and her boyfriend on dates."

Peter's eyes were locked on me and it was nice to know that he was actually listening to me. It was nice to know that my ranting could actually help a person stay connected and stay sane while going through this traumatized period of their life.

"Recently, I've begun to remember things I used to do with Jackson." I told Peter and sighed. "Scott and Stiles still don't know I have a past with Jackson. Only Danny, Lydia and, obviously, Jackson knows. I'm just kinda afraid to see how the two boys will react to the news about Jackson and I.

"Jackson has changed a lot from when we used to date. I remember when he used to be kind to people -- when he wasn't an asshole. I remember when popularity and being the star player wasn't everything to him. I even remember the day he made me come with him to the lookout point just to tell me that he'd fallen for Lydia, in the sweetest way ever." I talked freely and ran a hand through my hair. "The way he constantly kept apologizing and saying that he never meant to hurt me. Now he acts like he doesn't care about anything at all, like the rest of us mean nothing to him. I hadn't even thought back to my days with Jackson until Danny brought it up today. I guess it bothers me more than I think to see Jackson like this.

"I still care for Jackson as a human, but nothing more. It's weird, but I don't have any romantic feelings for Jackson. I feel like I did like Jackson, but I liked someone else as well, someone I've liked for many years."

Jennifer knocked on the door and slowly opened it. "I just came to make sure that everything was fine."

"We're great, Jennifer." I assured her with a small smile. "It feels nice to be able to come back and just talk to Peter again."