OLD - 25

The cave was exactly how I remembered, or, dreamed, whichever it was.  I had the oddest feeling coming in, like something had been missing inside me, only I hadn't noticed until now.

Isaac was looking around with a slightly awestruck, slightly wary expression, never taking his eyes away from Eric for more than a few seconds.

Not that he needed to, I wasn't taking my eyes off Eric at all now that we were here. 

"Why have you been messing with Alex's mind?"

"She's been doing that herself, she knows she has."

I blinked "No, I don't." I said.  But maybe I was, maybe this, even now, was just another hallucination.  Ugh, why can't things just make sense for once.

 "Don't you?" Eric asked "Think harder Alexandra."

Why did he pick now to adopt David's personality. 

"I don't have time for games Eric, and frankly, I'm sick of them." I said.

A faint whispering wind reached my ears, followed by Isaac's shout of surprise.  I turned away from Eric to see Kyle, David, and to my immense surprise, Jesse.

"Jesse?" I asked

"What's the matter Alex, you look like you've seen a ghost." He said, grinning.

I blinked "But-" He tapped his temple, reminding me of something "Mind games," I muttered "You were the middle ground, going back and forth."

Suddenly my mind connected it, I never saw Jesse when I was in the hospital until night time, in the dream I'd been so accousumted to seeing him then that I didn't question it.  One reason I could never be a detective, or a cop, I failed to connect little things until it was to late.

"So to what do we owe this surprise?" David asked

I raised my eyebrows "Like you don't know."

 "Please explain,"

 I glared "I shouldn't have t-" I cut off suddenly

I had realized something else.  I was here, with the guys, the look David gave me was clear enough to show the reason.  Isaac stood a little behind me.  I had unintentionally created my own destruction.  Exactly how the game had been decided.  My time was up.

"Nice to see you figured it out," David said grinning "I was starting to think you never would."

"No..." I muttered.  "All this time-" I didn't finish my sentence, only because pain shot through me, so strong and so bad that I fell to my knees, close to blacking out.

"I tried to warn you." I heard Kyle mutter.

And darkness took me.

                                                                             *****

I woke up alone, in some part of the cave I'd never seen.

"Dammit David!" I shouted.

"Ow, jeez, keep it down, I don't wanna go deaf thanks." I whipped around.

Apparently I wasn't alone, Isaac was here with me.

"I-"

"Save it," He said cutting me off "Whatever your going to say, don't.  First, because you didn't know this would happen.  And second, we aren't getting out of here any time soon." He paused "I do have one question though.  What did you figure out that made you realize this was a trap?"

I sighed "I realized it was playing out exactly how the game was supposed to.  It still is."

"What do you mean it still is, how does this end!"

I smiled sadly "Trust me Isaac, you really don't want to know."

"Yeah I do!  Spit it out Alex!"

"I, I'm supposed to kill you.  That's the point of it, do you remember?  It was the only rule I tried to change.  I couldn't.  Now I guess, we're just waiting for me to-"

"You wouldn't." He said firmly, but he sounded like he was trying to convince himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am probably not going to update this for a few days

while I finish catching the other version up

Otherwise I won't be able to put my entire mind to work on this

Which I need now that I'm so far into it

Hope you like it

Luna