Chapter Eighteen: Problem Child

Sans and Papyrus decided to walk home, rather than teleport.

They both knew that a serious discussion was going to be held, but neither of them wanted to start it. Their next conversation was going to be life changing, that much was certain. It was such a delicate matter, one wrong sentence would spell disaster for their relationship and future.

He's not gonna stop killing monsters. Eventually he's going to move on to ANYONE he deems is a threat to me. Criminal or not.

They traversed Hotland and then Snowdin in silence, glancing at one another and meeting eyes every once in a while.

Sans held his brother's heart in his hands, and they both knew it. What he said next would determine whether or not he'd have a brother tomorrow.

I need to tap into the ol' sensitivity bone. I gotta be calm and listen to him, no name calling and no cursing.

I can't believe I lost it so badly in that cave...

They reached the door to their house and Sans unlocked it. Walking into the dark house, and sitting on the couch, Sans motioned for Papyrus to join him.

Papyrus obeyed. Sitting on his knees with his hands in his lap and faced towards his brother, he waited silently as if preparing to be judged.

I'm not judging you pap, I'm helping you...

He sat stoic still, his gaze locked with Sans. His head was under a guillotine, but he looked fearless, guiltless, proud.

Sans had never seen his brother look this intense before. Honestly, it was more than a little intimidating. It felt like their roles had somehow switched, like he was the younger brother and Papyrus was the older and wiser one.

He's acting.

Sans imitated his brother's stance, and ignoring the stream of dread flowing through him, began. "alright. first off, i'm not mad at you, but you know this killing has to stop. it's dangerous and people are catching on."

Papyrus crossed his arms, looking at him indignantly. He didn't say anything, but his body language spoke volumes. Sans could feel himself starting to sweat.

Just keep going...

"from what i've gathered, and i'm not saying i'm correct, the main reason you're killing others is because you're afraid they'll kill me. am i right so far?"

Papyrus nodded, saying nothing.

Welp, so far so good. Problem addressed. Reason addressed. Now we just have to solve this thing.

"okay, soo we've been livin' here in snowdin for who knows how long. nothing's happened so far, cause' there's no criminals in snowdin. can we agree on that?"

Papyrus shook his head. "I've killed burglars before. Humans still come from the Ruins and kill monsters while they sleep."

Sans put a hand up to his mouth, thinking hard.

Damn, what do I say to that?

After a moment of thought his eyes brightened slightly. "would you consider sticking to criminals you find in snowdin?" This would keep the people safe and they would blame the dogs for the deaths instead of his brother.