Chapter Twenty-Two: Retirement

He's not coming back.

Sans sat on the couch with his hands on his knees, staring at the clock on the VCR. Papyrus had been gone for two hours; way longer than he should have.

He's really dead this time.

Looking out the window at the snow falling outside, Sans tried for the hundredth time to get his body to move, but it refused. While he'd been waiting for Papyrus to get back, his soul suddenly and without warning went ice cold. Everything in him screamed that something bad had happened to Papyrus, but he was too afraid to check.

I had a second chance and I blew it.

Another hour went by, and then another. Any hope he had was all but gone at this point. Now he was back to yesterday morning, wondering if Papyrus had killed himself.

RING!

RING!

RING!

Sans picked up the phone.

"Hello? Sans? I, um..."

Alphys.

"There's some footage, ah well...I don't know if I should show it to you, but-"

"it's papyrus, isn't it?"

The line was silent for a while.

"Do you w-want to see it? It's the only time you'll be able to see him again...I j-just thought I'd give you the chance."

"yeah...i'll be right over."

It wasn't a good idea; Sans knew that. Watching the video was gonna hurt like hell, but it was better than letting his imagination tear him apart.

He took a shortcut to Alphys' lab and tried to keep his eyes from tearing up. Alphys didn't jump in surprise this time. She motioned him over to the monitor and went upstairs without saying anything.

"EVERYONE CAN BE A GREAT PERSON IF THEY TRY!"

It WAS my fault.

Sans wiped his eyes on his sleeve.

"This movie sucks!"

"wha-"

The small skeleton turned in his chair and saw Flowey perched beside his skull eating popcorn.

How'd he get here?

Where'd he get that?

"BOOOOOOO!!!!" shouted Flowey, putting a leaf up to his mouth. Flowey took some of Alphys' paperwork with a vine and threw it at the screen.

"hey-"

"This movie's crap! Where's the blood? Where's the violence? Where's the explosions?"

"knock it off flowey..."

"Oh that's right. The Great Papyrus is harmless isn't he?"

Sans' eye began to glow.

"Mmm, Ten gold says he dies at the end," said Flowey with his mouth full.