Chapter Nineteen: You Can't Choose Your Family

"Howdy! I'm Flowey! Flowey the flower!"

Chara slowly opened their eyes to see Flowey doing his wiggling dance back and forth.

Morning, you deceitful little maggot...

How's your head? HA HA HA HA HA!

Chara waited patiently for Flowey's dialogue to end.

They had woken up in the flower patch they had started in, but they were more than a little confused. Unlike with other Resets, their head and stomach hurt and they couldn't remember Resetting. In fact, they couldn't remember anything.

Did Flowey always greet us at the flower patch or...?

"Down here, LOVE is shared through...little white 'friendliness pellets.'"

Chara dodged the pellets as per usual, and as usual Toriel stepped in and hit Flowey with a fire ball.

What was UNUSUAL was Toriel's dialogue.

"Greetings child, I am Toriel. I live in these ruins. It's a good thing I came along when I did, or that nasty little creature would've caused you some serious harm."

Chara stood in place completely dumbfounded. This had NEVER happened before. Never had the dialogue changed in a brand new timeline. Only when Chara did certain things did anything change.

"Are you alone, little one? Perhaps you should come with me. The Ruins can be a dangerous place for one so young."

Chara followed Toriel without question. She didn't teach them how to solve the puzzles, or ask them to talk to the dummy. In fact, the dummy wasn't even there.

"What are you staring at child?"

Chara didn't respond. They just continued onward stopping only to visit the candy room.

"Oh! Are you curious about that room? Such an adventurous youth! There's actually candy inside. Go ahead and take a piece, but only one. I leave them out so monsters who can't find food for the day can sleep with a full stomach."

Chara went inside only to find that all the candy had spilt onto the ground.

"Oh no! Who could have done such a thing? They didn't even have the common courtesy to pick the bowl back up..."

Chara didn't care. They suddenly didn't want candy anymore.

"How disrespectful some people can be..." said Toriel scooping up the dirty candy and putting it back in the bowl.

We didn't do this. Our inventory is empty. We're good enough to avoid getting hit by most of these monsters; we would've had some left...

It seemed like someone had already been in the Ruins before them and caused quite a mess. Everywhere they looked dust scattered the ground. There were still monsters, but the floor was incredibly dusty like someone had killed a mosh pit of them.

Toriel didn't seem fazed at all by the dust. It was like she couldn't even see it. She walked though it as easily as one would grass, never mentioning it once.

Something's going on here...

Why isn't Toriel upset about all the dust?