Chapter Twenty: A Judge Judges

Chara woke up with a splitting headache feeling and looking like they had used a cheese grater as a slip n' slide. Their hands were skinned, their clothes were torn to ribbons, and they were covered in blood. These cuts were going to need more than a band aid.

They were in so much pain that for a moment they thought about Resetting, but they knew if they did, the mystery of what happened here would haunt them forever. Their main goal was still to destroy everything until nothing was left, but the hundreds of timelines they'd visited had taught them the value of variety. They now jumped at every chance to see something new no matter how small, and this was BIG.

Slowly and carefully, they rose a few inches at a time to their feet. They didn't want to get dizzy and fall over; the last thing they needed was another head injury.

It seemed they were in front of the spot where Flowey was to appear and talk to them about Toriel. They limped towards the little patch of grass, and sure enough Flowey appeared.

"Howdy Chara! It's me, your best friend! I didn't recognize you before, but I do now. You sure did a number on that old hag!"

Chara shook their head.

Now FLOWEY was different. His dialogue was much shorter and to the point. They didn't remember Flowey ever calling them 'Chara' until much later.

They didn't remember killing Toriel either.

They DID remember her acting strangely and throwing them across the Pitfall Puzzle though.

Why did she do that?

What happened to us?

"Let's show everyone the TRUE meaning of this world!"

Flowey disappeared into the ground and Chara continued forward.

They had to find Sans. He was the only one who knew anything about timelines. If there was another them running around, he'd help them catch them right? His whole goal was to fix the timeline, he'd WANT to help.

Right?

That comedian better help us, or HE'S gonna have a bad time!

They exited the door to the Ruins and walked down the snowy path towards the ridiculous gate Papyrus had constructed. They remember thinking it was a Japanese structure of some sort when they first saw it.

Chara rubbed their arms trying to warm them. The path this time seemed colder, and not just because their clothes were now rags. The trees looming over them were somehow intimidating although they had seen them a million times and the entire area had an ominous air about it. It reminded them of a time long ago, eons ago, when they and Asriel would go candy gathering on Spooky Day.

It was a time when monsters were still new to Chara. Everyone and everything was scary. They had an orange gathering bucket in the shape of a jack o' lantern with a plastic handle that they would grip tightly until their hands hurt whenever a new monster appeared. Asriel would always ring the door bells and pick the houses smiling as if it were the best holiday of the year.

Spooky Day later became Chara's favorite as well. It was a day of pure adventure.

Buildings and stores that had seemed bright and cheery any other day, became mysterious haunted buildings when night fell. It was only on Spooky Day that these buildings could easily be broken into. Everyone was either candy gathering or giving out candy at their homes. No one was at work, due to Asgore stating that work would be cancelled every holiday so people could spend them with their families.