Chapter Twenty-One: The Great Papyrus

"Wait Human!"

Papyrus grabbed onto Chara's sleeve as they began to head out of Snowdin.

"I'm busy Papyrus..."

"I-I don't want you to erase the world, but I don't want to kill you either if I don't have to."

"What?"

Didn't he want to kill me a little awhile ago?

"My brother wants me to change. He...he doesn't like me as I am, so-"

"So find someone who does. Don't change who you are or what you like to do just to please someone else," said Chara sadly. "I've already been down that road and it's miserable."

"I can do it though. I was BORN to do it. I can make him happy without suffering."

"Someone like Sans will NEVER be happy. He'll spend the rest of his life worrying about what other people think of him, and what he should do to please them," said Chara matter-of-factly.

"That's not true. You're wrong."

"Everything he does is for him. He's nice so he doesn't feel guilty. He avoids doing things people don't like because he doesn't want people to make him feel bad. He's a skeleton without a backbone."

"You don't know a thing about Sans!" yelled Papyrus angrily.

"I've known him longer than YOU have. He's a pitiful creature who'll give up anyone or anything to protect himself from his own conscious. Including you."

Papyrus walked in front of Chara blocking the way to Waterfall. "If you want to destroy my world or the lives of these monsters, you'll have to get through me first!"

Chara looked at him, disgusted. "Do not act like them Papyrus. You're better than that."

"I'm whoever I choose to be human," said Papyrus firmly.

Anything to make him happy.

Anything to keep him safe.

"Get out of my way or you die Papyrus," said Chara taking a step forward.

Till my last breath.

"HALT HUMAN!"

Chara took another step forward.

"HEY, QUITE MOVING WHILE I'M TALKING TO YOU!"

Another step.

"I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, HAVE SOME THINGS TO SAY."

Wait a minute...

"FIRST: YOU'RE A FREAKING WEIRDO! NOT ONLY DO YOU NOT LIKE PUZZLES-"

This is...

"BUT THE WAY YOU SHAMBLE ABOUT FROM PLACE TO PLACE...THE WAY YOUR HANDS ARE ALWAYS COVERED IN DUSTY POWDER...IT FEELS..."

"Stop it."

"LIKE YOUR LIFE IS GOING DOWN A DANGEROUS PATH."