Chapter 35

Another week passed, and I spent all my time either at the wreckage or in my bed (but I didn't end up sleeping). Bones kept trying to get me to go out with him so that we could talk, but it never happened. Uhura had taken my absence hard, and she kept trying to ask me what was wrong. Carol seemed to be the only one who didn't ask me what was wrong, and she kept her distance, which I was grateful for. 

Soon however, Uhura and Bones started to get really worried about me, and they sent Spock and Chekov to bug me. 

"I do not think you should go back into the wreckage today, Isabella." Spock said walking next to me as I headed towards Starfleet. 

"And why not, Spock?" 

"You need to rest, you look exhausted, and if I'm correct, you have lost a quite a bit of weight." 

He was right, in the last two weeks I had lost almost 15 pounds. "Thanks for caring, but I'm fine." 

"No, as you're superior, I am ordering you to take the day off." 

"You're ordering me?" I asked stopping and putting my hands on my hips. 

"You need rest." He grabbed my shoulder, and right as he did I knew what he was going to do. With a pinch, I started to fall asleep, and before I hit the ground, Spock caught me in his arms. 

******

The sleep was great, though I would have never admit it to Spock, but when I started to awake, I was angry that he did it. "Damn Vulcan." I growled opening my eyes. The first thing to appear in my vision was a Uhura looking at me, and I let out a scream. "What the hell?" 

"Sorry, I saw you waking up, and I wanted to see if you were hungry?" She asked. 

"Maybe a little." I said sitting up and realizing that I was in Uhura's apartment. 

"Good!" She said standing up. "What do you want?" 

"Whatever you're gonna make." I said blinking away some dots. She nodded and trotted off leaving me laying there. 

Glancing at the clock on her nightstand I saw that it was 9:00. After getting up, I walked out into the kitchen to see Uhura cooking eggs on the stove. "A little late to be eating eggs, don't you think?" I asked yawning. 

"Bella, it's 9:00 in the morning. You slept almost 24 hours." She said. "You must have really been tired." I shrugged and sat down at her table. "Why were you so exhausted? You've been going home at a decent time." 

"I have trouble falling asleep, I get about maybe three hours of sleep each night, if I'm lucky." I admitted as she put eggs in front of me with a piece of toast. 

"Why? Are you still upset about Khan?" 

"I think the Khan thing is part of it. He plagues my nightmares." I said. "All I see when I close my eyes is watching all the death he caused." 

"Is that all?" 

"What's that suppose to mean?" I asked looking across the table as Uhura sat down. 

"Well, it's just you spent last week by Jim's side, and when Jim had died.... well, I've never seen you so upset. However, ever since you've stopped seeing Jim, it's like you've changed." She looked at me with concern. "Bones won't tell me what happened, and I know the bastard knows something, and every time I ask, he tells me the same thing." 

"Which is?" 

"'It will all be better once Jim wakes up'" She mocked his voice. "'Now damn it, stop asking'" I let out a giggle. "So it is Jim."