Chapter 3

Ellen's POV

     Ma was being way too strict. That kid grabbed my ass, so I beat him up. The car ride home was silent, and I could tell that my mother was furious with me. I honestly didn't care. "When we get home, sit on the couch." Ma said as I rolled my eyes. "Don't roll your eyes at me either." I sighed, and when we got home and I sat on the couch. I took out my phone and started to Snapchat Melony, until Ma took my phone away. I watched as she dialed a number and handed me the phone.
     "Who is it?" I took the phone glaringly.
     "Mom." She stated, standing in front of me as my other mother answered.
     "Hello?"
     "Hi Mom." I said nervously.
     "Ellen? Shouldn't you be in school?"
     "I got suspended."
     "Ellen... Why?" She sighed, and I was forced to tell her.
     "I beat up a kid because he grabbed my ass. I knocked him out." I still wasn't sorry for what I had done.
     "Ellen honey, you shouldn't be doing that. You could have told an adult and they would have handled it."
     "That's so lame though. It's better if I do it my way." Mom sighed again, and Ma was still standing in front of me with her hands on her hips.
     "It isn't better if you do it your way. It makes you a cruel and unreasonable person. Don't you get that?" Mom paused. "And the way you've been acting not only makes you look like a 'skank', but it also makes your Ma and I look like we raised you wrong."
     "K." I sighed. Whenever I did something bad, Mom always had a way of making me feel bad about it. She was always calmer and kinder than Ma, who just got angry at me.
     "Ma and I both love you very much, just remember that." Mom said. I watched Ma walk into the kitchen.
     "When I get home in a few days with Leah, I want you to start to shape up. Okay?" Mom asked hopefully. I was silent. "Ellen? I'm being serious." She was waiting for an answer that I didn't feel like agreeing to.
     "Maybe." I finally told her.
     "Alright. I love you Ellen."
     "Love you too. Bye." We hung up and I put Ma's phone on the coffee table.
She came back from the kitchen and put her phone back in her pocket.
     "Are you hungry?" She asked. I nodded. "What do you want?"
     I sighed. "It doesn't matter to me. Whatever you are having." Ma nodded and came back a few minutes later with a grilled cheese for me. I guess even though she was mad at me, she still cared, just like Mom said. "I wish I went up to Boston to see Thea and Hannah. I miss them." I said, and she nodded.
     "I miss them too. Thea is 15 now. I talked to her the other day." Ma sighed. We tried to visit a few times a year. I missed the last two visits because I was in trouble. I last saw Thea on her 14th birthday.
"She is the top of her class right now. She wants to keep it that way so she can be valedictorian in her senior year." Ma looked at me with disappointment in her eyes. I used to be one of the top kids in my class. I immediately felt bad. This wasn't the way Mom and Ma raised me, to be a skank. I like the way I am, but I'm the one who chose to be like this, not my parents. I still really wanted to go to that party, though. I could sneak out if I wanted to. I could just climb right out my window. I knew where Ma hid the keys to my car. I could steal them back to go to the party tomorrow. Ma was doing paperwork while I was Snapchatting Mel. Even though she was in school, she still replied. Apparently I was what everyone was talking about at the moment. "Can I hang out with Mel tomorrow after she gets home from school?" Ma looked at me.
     "Let me guess, there's a party that you want to go to?" I shrugged.
     "What makes you think that there is a party?" I demanded, putting my phone down.
     "Because it's a Friday night tomorrow." She raised her eyebrows.
     "Fine. There is a party. Can I go?" I pleaded
     "No."
     "But Ma-"
     "If you didn't knock a kid out today I may have considered it." She was really starting to annoy me.
     "Ugh I fucking hate everything." I stormed off to my room to text Mel.

'My Ma isn't letting me go to the party I fucking hate her.'

'Just sneak out.'

'Okay, park the car behind my house so I can climb out the window'

'Alright. Are you going to bring your phone? Your mother is a cop. Can't she like trace it or something?'

'Yeah probably. I'll leave it home tomorrow. I'm going to go shower now. ttyl.'

'Okay bye, ttyl'

     I put my phone down and grabbed my sweatpants and a sports bra to put on after my shower. Did Mom really think that I was a skank? Whatever. I was going to that party tomorrow, and there was nothing anyone could do about it.