Chapter 29

Ellen Pov

     After dropping off Sadie, I thought a lot about Melony. What if she always looked so bad because she was getting hurt, or sexually assaulted? Thoughts twirled throughout my mind and I walked into my house to get greeted by Leah.
     "Ellen, where were you?" My sister looked at me as she ate some toast.
"Sadie and I had gone to this field because she had a bad day, and we fell asleep in the back of my truck."
     I put my bag down. "Leah, where's Ma and Mom?"
"Out on the deck." I nodded and headed out there.
     "Hey, sorry I didn't come home last night, Sadie was upset about something and we slept in the back of my pickup truck in that field." I greeted my parents.
     "It's fine, don't worry about it." Mom smiled and Ma nodded in agreement.
     "Ellen, Mom and I have to go to work and I would appreciate it if you could go to the grocery store for me?" Ma looked at me and I nodded.
"Sure, not a problem." I stood up and went into my room to shower before I went to the store.
     I washed myself off, remembering last night with Sadie. I smiled at the thought, and finished up, throwing some fresh clothes on.
Before leaving the house, Leah stopped me.
"Ellen, can you drop me off at Jamie's? School's out now, and she invited me over."
     "Yeah I guess. Let's go."
"Thanks!"
We got into my truck and I drove my younger sister to her friend's house.
     Her friend Jamie lived on Melony's street, and after dropping off Leah, I drove past her house and saw Melony on her front porch. Her face had a bruise on it, as she was trying to cover it with makeup.
     My mind almost made me stop, but I didn't, and drove to the supermarket.
     As I strolled down the aisles, I bought a few extra things that Sadie and I wanted to try. Mom and Ma wouldn't mind, and it looked like a fun recipe to make.
After checking out, I took my bags and walked back to my truck, which was parked in the corner of the lot. As I went to unlock it, I heard whimpering coming from the ground.
     Peering around back, I placed the groceries in the rear-bed, and crouched down by whomever was sitting there, sobbing.

It was Melony.

     "Melony..?!" My voice was quiet, but she looked at me. She had tears staining her face, along with bruises and a broken look in her eyes.
"Umm. Hi Ellen." Melony looked down as she clutched her knees to her chest.
     "Melony what happened to you!?" I glanced over her face and she shrugged.
     "Mel." I glared at her for a brief moment before she started to talk.
"Can I just say something?" The girl that used to hold the position of my best friend, looked at me.
"What." I answered back uneasily.
     "I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I was to much of an idiot to not see what I was doing." She paused.
"...breaking up our friendship was the worst thing I've done."
     I looked at her again for a moment, unsure of what to say. She had hurt me a few months ago, with the heated argument over the phone. If it weren't for Sadie, I probably would've lost my mind.
     "It's going to take time." I finally responded and she nodded slowly.
"You need to stay away from Tommy. Do you understand?" I looked at her and she nodded.
     "Come to my house, my parents are coming home from work later. You can talk to them about things." I briefly stated and Melony shrugged.
     "Jane and Maura must hate me by now though. After what I did to you." She hugged her knees to her chest.
"You'd be surprised." I stammered as I helped her up.
     She seemed to have changed a little as well, she still has that badass side to her, the one that is almost gone from me. You can tell by the way she still dresses, and the fact that she actually considered, and then went through,  with dating Tommy.
     Since I didn't want to be awkwardly alone in my house with Melony, I invited Sadie over, through text.

We drove back to my house in silence.