Chapter 20

Maura Pov

     The next few days that Jane and Ellen were driving back from Vegas went quicker than expected. Leah was anxious to see her sister and so was I. Leah didn't know that Ellen had gone through so much. I heard a car pull up in the driveway and looked out to see Ellen and Jane. Ellen looked awful as she got out of the car. She walked stiffly and was covered in bruising. I ran out the front door and she looked at me with a smile of relief.
"Mom.." She whispered as I embraced her in a hug. She held tightly to me and I kissed her cheek.
"You're safe." I whispered back and she nodded before whimpering in my arms. I held her close while Jane brought their things in. Leah was still at school so it was only the three of us at the moment.
Jane finished unpacking and we followed her inside.
     "I'm going to go shower." Ellen said as she went over to the bathroom.
...

Ellen Pov

     I shut the bathroom door and leaned my back against it for a moment as I turned my head to look at myself in the mirror.
Bruises. Bruises everywhere. I took off my shirt and looked at my reflection some more. This was my fault. None of this would've happened if it weren't for me. I was already changing back into the person I used to be. I planned to stay like that. I continued to take off my clothes and turn on the hot water, trying to erase what was done to me. I washed myself for what was probably an hour before I put some sweatpants on and went in my room.
     "Thank god." I whispered to myself, before climbing under my sheets and falling into a deep sleep.
...
Jane Pov
     "It was hard Maura. It was like watching you all over again." I sat on the couch with Maura and she leaned against my body with sadness in her eyes.
"Let's hope she never has to go through what I did." Maura sighed.
"She turned back into old Ellen. Did you notice that?" I asked my wife and she nodded.
"Sometimes, a dramatic event can cause a change though. It may not last." The blonde looked at me and I nodded before standing up and saying,
"I'm going to go check on Ellen."
     Maura stood up and went with me. We opened her door and she was asleep. I went over to her and crouched down by her sleeping face. Maura's phone started to ring so she had to leave to answer it.
Ellen's face was still bruised and I ran my finger gently along it. She woke up a little and our eyes met.
"Hi honey." I formed a small smile and she continued to look at me.
"It hurts Ma. It fucken hurts." She whispered as she shifted uncomfortably.
"I know honey." I kissed her forehead.
"I miss Sadie. And where is Mel? She never left me a message or texted or anything." Ellen looked confused, and to be honest, I didn't like Melony.
"I don't know where she is sweetie, we will worry about every thing when you wake up, alright?" I lovingly answered her and she nodded, before gently falling back asleep.
     I checked the time. It was only four in the evening and Leah should be home.
"Who was on the phone?" I asked Maura as I shut Ellen's door.
"It was Leah. She is working on a project with a friend and is going to be staying all weekend. I'll drop her stuff off." She responded.
I shook my head before saying.
"No, it's okay, stay with Ellen. I want to stay hi to Leah anyways. I haven't seen her."
     Maura nodded and handed me a bag of Leah's things as I walked out the door.