Chapter 28

Maura Pov

     When Ellen didn't come home last night, Jane and I weren't terribly concerned because she was with Sadie. We layed in bed, in the night. It had been a few months since I tried to have Jane hold me down. She was always willing to help me, but I hadn't brought it up again.
     We layed there, awake in the night. Jane held me in her arms as usual, her dark hair falling into my face. Her chin was gently resting on the top of my head and I could only think about how protected I felt. She made me feel so comfortable.
     "What are you thinking about baby doll?" Jane suddenly whispered.
"About how much I love you." I responded, huddling closer to her. I could sense her smiling, and she kissed the top of my head.
     "Where do you think Ellen is?" I asked and Jane sighed.
"I don't know, I'm hoping that she isn't doing anything stupid. I don't think she would at this point though."
I nodded in agreement and thought about how strong our daughter was. She was so much tougher than me. In that moment I had a flashback to when Beth had beaten me, and I felt so defenseless.
     I found myself trembling at the thought, and Jane holding onto me, with the utmost care.
I inhaled deeply and gripped Jane's body. She didn't even have to ask what the issue was. The same thing happened on occasion. She just was there for me, making sure I was comfortable.
     I thought about my scars on my midsection on my body. Jane's body was gorgeous. She always told me I was perfect but it was hard to believe, when I would still have anxiety attacks, and couldn't always comfortably make love with the woman that stole my heart.
     When Ellen had run away, I was too concerned about where my daughter was, to think about my past. I was concerned about Jane at that point as well. She was a mess and I did my best to make sure she was okay.
     It was easier to make sure that the ones I loved were okay, rather than trying to make sure that I was alright. I squeezed Jane again, with my fingertips and she kissed my head gently.
...

Ellen Pov

     I woke up to the morning Sun beating down on my face. Sadie and I had fallen asleep in the back of the truck. We were both still topless. I looked down at the blonde sleeping next to me.
     She was curled in a ball, her long hair falling over her body. I grabbed for my bra as she shifted awake.
"Hey." She mumbled and rubbed her eyes as she put on her clothes as well.
     "Hey." I responded back and leaned in and kissed her forehead.
     She wrapped her arms around me and whimpered a bit. It occurred to me that she never told me had happened to her yesterday.
     "You know that you are the first person I've cared about this much besides my family?" I whispered. A small smile twitched her lips and she sighed.
     "Do you know Tommy Kob?" She asked me and I nodded. He was one of the more popular people. A complete ass, but I didn't talk to him much. He was in my grade, and even though Sadie was only a freshman, going into sophomore year, and I was going into senior year, everyone knew who she was because she was my girlfriend.
     "He came to my house yesterday and took me to that back alleyway, saying that you and him wanted to show me something. I thought it was weird but followed him anyway." She took a deep shuddering breath.
     "I followed him there and as soon as we got there, he pushed me against a wall and started to peel my shirt up." Sadie sighed and squeezed my body tighter.
"I pushed him off of me but he pinned me again, gripping his hands between my legs. I kneed his balls and ran. He threatened me as I was running. Please just be careful, I don't want him to hurt you." Sadie looked up at me and I nodded.
     "Are you okay though?" I was mortified that he had done that. 
Sadie shrugged.
"Made me think of Eric."
     I sighed and kissed her gently, before we got back into my truck and drove to get something to eat.
We pulled into a Dunkin Donuts and it had occurred to me that Tommy was dating Melony. Melony hadn't talked to me since that morning a few months back. She looked awful since then, and I almost felt bad for her, but it was her fault that our friendship had ended.
     "Melony is dating Tommy." I looked at Sadie and she nodded.
"I forgot about that, if he is dating Melony, then why did he try to have sex or do something to me?" Her blue eyes searched mine, as I was stuck in thought.
     I wondered if Tommy had ever hurt Melony. I wasn't sure how to feel in this situation.
     "I'm worried he's going to go after yours or my family though Ellen." We had gotten some coffee and bagels and were parked in the parking lot.
     "Do you want me to tell my Ma?" I took a sip of my coffee.
"I don't know. Maybe you should." Sadie shrugged and we stayed quiet.
     "Do you want to come to my place or go home?" I looked at my girlfriend.
"I should go home, Mila gets cranky when her big sister isn't home." She rolled her eyes, thinking about the 7 month old.
     I laughed slightly. "Alright, let's send the big sissy home." I winked at the blonde and she squinted her eyes at me.
"I'm sorry I'm sorry." I laughed while driving her home and she shook her head an grinned.
     We pulled into her driveway and I kissed her gently before allowing her to go out, and into her house.