Chapter 31

Jane Pov

     I wasn't sure what Ellen wanted Maura and I to do with the girl she once called her best friend. We went into the living room, where Melony and Sadie were sitting. Sadie stood up and went into Ellen's room.
     "Hi Melony." I said before Maura and I sat down on the ottoman across from the teenager.
"Hi." She quietly said, looking at her feet.
     "Ellen told us what happened. Where are your parents?" Maura spoke up, and calmly said to her, placing a hand on Melony's knee.
     "They moved. Still paying for the house for me to live in." She shrugged her shoulders.
     "Why'd they move?" I asked her and she shrugged again.
"My dad got a new job and I didn't want to leave so they just keep paying for it."
     "You were in a relationship?" I asked and she nodded.
"Is that how you received the bruise on the side of your face?"
     Her eyes snapped to mine and I could tell that she was debating whether or not to tell me.
"Honey, listen, if you are in danger, you have to let us know." I looked at Maura for agreement and she nodded her head.
     "I mean, it was just sex. Nothing like terribly bad. I got all the clothes and jewelry I wanted." She finally said and Maura closed her eyes and sighed.
     "Did you consent to this 'just sex?'" Maura asked, and I could tell she was thinking about the trouble she was having.
     "Uhm,  I mean, not really...but it's fine. I do what he wants." she looked down at her feet and shrugged.
"So it was forced." Maura stated flatly.
Melony nodded and looked at us with shame written on her face.
     "Well, I'm going to find a place for you to sleep tonight, with one of my coworkers. She's actually Maura's twin." I picked up my cell phone and called Kate.
     "Hi Jane, what's up?" The special agent answered her phone.
"Do you remember me mentioning Melony to you at some point?"
"Yes, why?"
"Can you take her tonight? She needs somewhere to stay that she will be safe."
I explained the story to Kate, with nervous glances from Melony.
     "Yeah I'll take her, I'm on my way to your place."
"Thanks Kate."
We hung up and it occurred to me that Melony wouldn't have any of her things.
     "Melony, do you feel okay with going back to your house to get some of your clothes or something?" Maura and I stood up.
"Umm, yeah, sure." Melony looked scared and uncomfortable.
     I went to talk to Ellen and Sadie about what was happening, and left Maura with Melony.
...
Maura Pov

     I sat down across from Melony again after Jane left the room. She looked anxious.
"Melony?" She turned her head to look at me.
     "Honey, you need to see a doctor. There could be a multitude of-"
"Aren't you a doctor?" The teenager cut me off and I nodded.
     "Technically aren't I seeing one then?"
     "Well no. I mean you have to go to an OB-GYN if you've been having sex. Have you been to one before?"
      "Yeah. When I had thought that I was pregnant."
     "Melony, listen to me. Be honest please. Did your boyfriend force you?" I scrunched my brow a little and she looked at me uncomfortably.
"Sometimes. But not all. Why do I have to go to an OB?" Melony looked at me.
     "To see the extent of what was done to you." I said, thinking about how much I despised going to my appointments.
     "Oh." The girl shrugged and curled herself up on the chair.
     "You'll be okay." I said gently, before standing up and going onto a different chair to sit and wait for Kate.