Chapter 22

Maura Pov

      I woke up the next morning, entangled in Jane's arms. The corners of my lips turned upward, eventually making me smile as I thought about last night. I looked up at Jane, who was still sleeping. We were still naked and it didn't occur to me that Ellen could be awake.
     "Jane!" I hissed before suddenly sitting straight up in bed as my wife slowly woke up.
"What is it?" The dark haired women rubbed her eyes and had a hint of annoyance in her voice.
"Ellen is here. We have to get dressed!" I started to stand before I heard Jane do something that sounded like a groan and a squeal before pulling me back down on the bed and kissing my lips. I laughed but tried to sound stern.
     "Jane! C'mon!" I continued to laugh which wasn't helping my situation. She pulled me completely down and kissed my body some more. She was laughing at me as well and so i finally made my voice dead serious.
"We will never be able to fuck again if Ellen finds us." She stopped what she was so my and burst out laughing again before standing up and stretching her slim yet muscular body.
"Maura, I don't think I've ever heard you say such a thing."
     "Well, you wouldn't stop being you." I looked at my wife and she grinned.
"Maybe I have fun being 'me'." She stifled a laugh while I stood up, shaking my head and smiling.
...
Jane Pov

     Both Maura and I had just threw on sweats and a guinea tee so we were comfortable.
We walked out to the kitchen to find Ellen making herself a bagel while on the phone. She glanced at us as tears clung to the corners of her eyes.
     "What do you mean you didn't know I was gone Mel!? I brought that guy home and got in trouble!"
     Maura and I stood there while Ellen was in the middle of a heated discussion with what sounded like was Melony. She was on the verge of having a breakdown.
     "Where did I go!? I drove to Vegas and became a prostitute. I was raped Melony. I was gone for days! What did you think happened to me?" She stood for a moment listening to Melony and saw her teeming with anger.
     "You were with friends. Huh. Interesting since I'm your best friend. Without me, you would be nothing. So you are choosing to dump me so you can hang out with you alcoholic drug addicts?"
      A pregnant pause caused Ellen's face to flush.
"Fine. Goodbye Melony." She hung up and chucked her phone across the room before storming out the door.
I ran over to our front door.
"El!?" I had worry in my voice and she stopped and turned around.
"Can I just go for a walk." She asked in more of a statement than a question. Her face was red as she locked eyes with me and I nodded.
"Just be careful honey." She continued to walk as she dug her hands in her leather pocket.
...
Ellen Pov

     I more of stomped down the street as my body fumed with anger. Melony hadn't even realised I was gone and now she soiled our friendship. I was never stooping as low as I was when I was friends with her ever again.
     I wanted Sadie. I wanted to see her precious face with ocean blue eyes and her light blonde hair. I wanted to hold the fragile body of the girl that I was falling in love with. Never in a million years had I expected me to fall in love with a girl. Yet here I was. I didn't mind it though because my parents loved eachother and if things worked out. I'd want to have a relationship like theirs.
     "Ellen!" I heard my name as a car drove passed me and immediately started to back up. The door opened and as if my wished were granted, Sadie gently came out and I ran over to her as my arms wrapped around her frail body.
     "I'm so glad to see you." I whispered and she nodded.
"What are you doing here though?" I seperated from the equally bruised teenager.
     Sadie giggled shyly.
"I kept bothering my parents. I was let out of the hospital a little after you and when I got home..." her voice went quiet before continuing.
"..I couldn't stop thinking about you."
     She looked up into my dark brown eyes. In that moment, the world felt frozen. Even though her Mom was in the car, it still felt like only us was in that moment.
     Our breathing was quiet as my hand lingered to her beaten face. I leaned in and allowed our lips to meet. It wasn't a long kiss and we soon seperated but it was something. I searched her eyes for any emotion but I was unsuccessful, as she was doing the same to me.
     "Let's go to my place." I was barely audible as I laced my fingers through hers and started to walk back down the way I came. Sadie waved her mom off and continued walking with me.
     In some ways, I wasn't sure how to do this. I mean, was I ready for a stable relationship? I looked at the blonde from the corner of my eye. Both of us had been through a lot. Could that put a strain on us? I squeezed her hand and she did the same as I walked up the steps and into the house.