Chapter 4. Diner hops and coke drops

Monday came this morning early, I got and got ready. I put on jean shorts, my diner T shirt which was red and black, with my black converses. I pulled my blonde hair up into a braid ponytail.My wound still hurt but I took some tylenol and changed the bandage on my it. I walked downstairs all I saw was mom and Belle sitting in the living room. Mom was feeding Belle a bottle while watching TV.

"Hey mom I'm headed to work can I borrow your car?" I asked since I still hadn't taken my Explorer in yet.

"Sure honey. I'll need it later to go get groceries, your dad will home at 3:30 so I''ll have him and Ion go pick up my car for me. After you can call after your done with work and one of us will come get you. Have a good day!" She said then I was out to the door to her car. A silver Honda accord sat there in the driveway, no big black truck. I would have rather taken that truck then her car but army guys got to go to work even when their not out of the country.

I drive into town 10 minutes later, I park in the back parking lot. Before I walk into the diner I see Karter and Kyla walking into their mother's boutique. They're my best friends ever since kindergarten. Their twins, both with brown hair and green eyes. Kyla works with her mother, adding her bows, headbands, and other crafty things to the store, which was next door to the diner. I would have said hello if I didn't need to go into work.

Once inside I stamped my card and got my apron on and wave to Gramps as he's making the breakfast. I started with baking an apple pie, cherry pie, a blackberry cobbler, hot fudge cheesecake brownies and snickerdoodle cupcakes with snickerdoodle icing. I make differently desserts every day other then the apple and cherry pie everyone always has to have those, especially the sweet older people. The diner has a huge kitchen and a lot of stand mixers where I can make several desserts all at the same time. I love it. It's 7:30 and Grams has already made a pot of coffee and made the orange juice. Gramps was making our breakfast menu while I was baking the desserts. It didn't take too long before all the desserts where done and out and behind the glass counter for all to see.

When I was putting the desserts out I saw Jenna already serving breakfast to her favorite old couple. They were the sweetest in town besides Grams and Gramps of course. We had 3 waitress' and 1 waiter, Jenna, Skye, Shayla, and my best friend Karter. Were apart of the same graduating class, we started at the diner at different times though. Jenna is a sassy spitfire that cares about people, Skye is shy but a sweetheart, Shayla is an attention whore; always got her boobs almost hanging out of her shirt. Karter is the funny one that keeps us all grounded. I'm the one that's always caught singing in the kitchen.

Only Jenna, Skye and I work from opening to later in the day. Shayla always got here at 11:00 when lunch is being served as well as karter. I was the only one who got off early since I have been the longest to work here. It didn't take to long before it was lunch time. Gramps and I shared making the lunch menu. We had everything from hamburgers, steak to any kind of pasta or any kind of past. Which they didn't start having the pasta until I started working there and I had them try some of which I made, plus they couldn't say no to me.

I was fixing to put steak mac n cheese on a plate when Karter walked in saying" Hey Lyric, Mrs.Gram was wanting to know if you could cover Shayla's spot again she's not here yet. Knowing her she's prob found some guy to fuc-"

" Boy you better not finish that sentence in my diner." Gramps cut him off. "Sorry Mr. Gram." Karter said.

"Yeah let me fold down my apron and get my pen and notepad." I told him as I was folding down my apron tucking down at the waist. I grabbed the rest and headed out of the kitchen and into Shayla's section. Most of her section contained high school kids and guys. There were more high school here since it was summer. I walked up to one of the tables it was full of guys of four.