Chapter 12. Curiosity killed the cat..Or poisoned?

It was early Monday morning before work I was putting away the clean dishes when I heard hurried foots steps on the stairs coming straight to the kitchen. My dad looked like he was stressing out running his hands down his face and in his hair. Then he looked like he had an idea and turned to look at me.

"Okay Lyric I've got a problem and I don't know who else to ask but our main cook got food poisoning and would you please consider coming to the base for  3 days to replace her?" My dad asked pleadingly.  

I found some paper and a pen and wrote down everything I would need to make for 3 days breakfast,lunch and dinner. I handed it to him and said" have all this stuff sent to the base and you have yourself a head cook for a few days.

"Yes! Thank you! Wait why did you need all this stuff? Oh nevermind okay so your  going to have to stay the night there so pack a bag and call your work. We have to leave in a few mins if you want to get there and make breakfast." Dad explained and he got right on the phone and I did with grams and Gramps. I told them I was going to be taking 4 vacation days, they said go,go you need a vacation.

I had never taken a vacation day and even when I tried to take one but grams and Gramps would still pay me when I wasn't there. 

After that I grabbed all the things I would need and stuffed them in my blue zebra stripes duffle bag.  I hugged mom and kissed Belle before heading out to get into Ion's truck.

I hadn't received a creepy text from my so called stalker in a while. Maybe it was just someone pranking me, I hoped anyways.

Once we were all in the truck I noticed dad and Ion weren't talking to each other but more like dad was smirking and Ion was glaring. What the hell happen already?

"Uh is there something wrong?" I asked. " Oh no everything is just great Lyric." My dad said giddy like while Ion grumbled out "just great."

Okay..so I must be missing something. Whatever it is I will ask about it later. I closed my eyes for a little while to take a little nap and when I woke up we were at the base.  I had to go through security and everything before I was taken to the room I would be staying at. It wasn't much a bed,nightstand, closet and a bathroom without a shower,public showers it is.

I put my things away before heading outside where dad was waiting to show me where the cafeteria was at.

"So what was that with you and Ion?"

"Oh nothing he was just being grumpy today."

"You always thinks he's grumpy, why wouldn't he look at me?" I asked.

"I don't know maybe trouble in paradise?" He chuckled.

"You wish." I told him as we came to the rec room as dad called it not a cafeteria,how was I supposed to know ?

It was pretty big but I guess it would have to be for an army base. 

"Okay so I had everything delivered so you can just do your thing." Dad said.

When I walked into the kitchen it was empty,so when dad meant head cook he meant the only cook. Okay then let's get this show on the road.

I got started making pancakes, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy,fruit salad, eggs scrambled or easy, cereal and milk,breakfast bars, every verity of food for breakfast you can think of and it was on the hot warmers  and cold pans when soldiers came in through the door.

Everyone that got in line either looked at me funny or was checking me out. Was it so weird to see a new person here or was it the food? Did the other head cook starve everyone?