Chapter 2

∞∞∞

Cameron: The Email

"I'll see you next week, Mr. Alden?" I ask.

"Yeah, I should be free," Mr. Alden says.

"Remember to make an appointment with my secretary on your way out."

"Yes, Dr. Allen." With that, he takes his leave. Mr. Alden is just one of my many clients here at my therapy office. He's a nice gentleman with chronic PTSD.

I take this chance to check my phone for texts and emails. Here's an email address I've never seen before.

Do people like you? Do they like your quirk?
Lunch isn't to meet people. It's me, not you at work.
P. S. the name spells café.
-Jim

I just kinda stare at it. He contacted me, yeah, but why the bizarre email? I forward it to Raven.

What do you make of this?
-Cameron Allen
1-222-333-4444

While I wait for her to reply, I look up my next client. Clair, 10 years old with Autism. She has minimal verbal skills and absolutely adores dolphins. Oh, yes, I remember her. I promised we could play in my sand box this time, with the dolphins and fish toys. I have to make good on that.

My phone buzzes slightly. It's Raven.

Translation: "Do you like lunch? Meet me at the café. -Jim"

I look between the original and the translation. How interesting. He coded the email to be every third word. Quite clever, really. I send Jim my response.

Twelve apples and thirty oranges?
-Cameron Allen
1-222-333-4444

I add his email to my list of contacts. Then I get a text from an unknown number.

Done

I can only assume that was also Jim. I save his number to my phone with a smile. I wonder what he's hiding. He is certainly unlike any man I've known. I glance at the clock again. Only one more client to go.

∞∞∞

Jim: The First Date

As I sit in the café once again, I wonder whether this is worth it. She solved my coded message, but it was just a little too quick for her. I have a feeling she cheated. Why wouldn't she just try and solve it herself? And who is the one who solved it for her?

I see her coming. Three minutes early. Of course, it suits her.

"Well done", I say casually as she passes by.

She turns and gives me smile, looking pleased. "Clever what you did there with those words," she says before ordering herself a cup of tea. "Not that I had to tell you that. It's clear you already know."

"And you were clever enough to read them?" I could say I'm testing her honesty, but I know she won't lie.

"More like, clever enough to reply in like-manner." Boring. "And clever enough to recognize that you're hiding something," she says after taking a sip of her tea.

"Really, am I?" I say, sipping my own cup.

"Coding a message is generally a good sign of someone that is hiding something," she tells me in a nonchalant tone. She's curious but, fortunately, it seems she knows better than to pry. That's a good quality to have. It will keep her out of trouble.