Chapter 6

∞∞∞

James: Invitation in the Park

"What are you talking about? Just do it," I say before hanging up the phone. I've been dealing with this mess all day. Why do I always have to rely on idiots to get a job done? I would do it myself but, of course, there's only one of me. Just as I'm about to put my phone away, it buzzes with a text.

Park your car 30 times per minute

It's Cameron. It takes me next to no time to read it. Park 30 minutes. Pleased, I head to the park. I wonder how it will go this time when we talk. I couldn't get her out of my head last night. Maybe I'm a little extra crabby with my business partners. So what? I have other things on my mind.

"Hey," I say when I see her waiting on a bench.

"Hello, James. Care to join me for a walk?"

"Sure," I respond hesitantly. Another walk? I can't imagine why.

"I hope you don't mind," she starts after a we begin our walk, "But I took the liberty of finding out who Mycroft is." Ah.

"Why would I mind?" That would be Mycroft's issue, not mine.

"It's always a possibility if you refer to someone as nobody."

I just smirk. He is nobody.

"I found that Mycroft is involved with the government. And it makes sense with what you've told me already." She sounds solemn. Why?

"Why does it make sense?"

"Police at the flat. 'Mycroft is feeling guilty'." She stops walking and looks at me seriously. "James, why are you wanting to come back from the dead?"

"I have my reasons." Sherlock is my reason. I said I would kill him. I can't just abandon that promise, can I? Nope. Not even for a girlfr- stop.

"James, I'm not playing," she says, apparently very comfortable with the whole James thing. "If Mycroft is feeling guilty and sent police to your flat, then clearly he already knows you're not dead. Or at least he suspects you're alive. If he's after you while you're supposed to be dead, what is going to happen when you come back? Will it really be worth coming back?" She's practically pleading with me. "I need to know."

"Yes," I say after a long stretch of serious silence. It's been my only worthwhile goal. It was meant to be from the beginning, when he first tried to solve the 'accidental' death of Carl Powers. He was the only kid I ever met who was close to my level. Of course, he wasn't quite there. But It's the only excitement I have.

When she realizes I'm serious, she looks down at the ground. "When?" she asks.

"Soon," I answer, "I haven't decided yet."

"Will it mean going back to London?" she asks after a hard swallow.

"Most likely."

She looks like she's about to cry. I mean, I like her and all, but still it's only been a week. I can't really be worth crying over. But still, it would be nice to make her feel a little better.

"That doesn't mean I couldn't come back."

Cameron looks up with hope in her eyes. "Do you promise?"

"Yes."

"And you promise to say goodbye when you go?"

"Promise," I confirm with a nod. I always keep my promises. Although, I don't know why saying goodbye all the time seems so important to her. I look at her with a smile because despite my leaving, I still enjoy my time with her. I lean over and whisper in her ear with a smile, "But I'm not leaving yet."