Chapter 5

∞∞∞

Cameron: He's Gone

       I come in the living room expecting to see James, but he isn't in here. His sheets are already folded up perfectly. I check the kitchen. There's  actually a tray of biscuits and tea waiting... but no James. I stare at  between the sheets and the breakfast tray, the only traces of his ever  being in their flat. I mean, it's such a simple thing, but these little gestures can say a lot. He actually cared enough to fold the sheets and going so far as making breakfast and tea. I know human things are foreign to him. So, does he even know that he is enamouring me to him even more?

       Finally snapping out of it, I put away the sheets and look inside the folds to see if maybe, just maybe he left a coded note somewhere. But I am met with disappointment. I just help myself to the breakfast tray.

       Ray emerges from her dungeon. "Hey," she says sleepily.

       "Hi," I say. "Jim already left." I don't know what I was expecting if he had stayed. I just- it would have been nice.

       "Oh." She takes a moment to process this. "Early bird."

       "Yeah. Very early." So, he's industrious. "He made these for us," I say, referring to the biscuits and tea.

       "Really? He cooks too?" She smirks and helps herself.

       "Apparently," I say, attempting a smirk.

       "You okay?"

       "Yeah," I say quickly. This is not my best acting. "I have to get ready for work." I get up to do that.

       "You wished he would've stayed longer?"

       I pause a moment. "Not necessarily." Just long enough to see him again before he left. I just finish getting ready. Maybe he left a note or  something for me at work. I have grown accustomed to his strange notes in unusual places. But when I get there, I am sorely disappointed again.

       Did he really, actually leave? He said he had to, like he was paying the  courtesy of goodbye by coming last night. Did he believe it was good  enough of a good bye? Will I hear from him again? Or was last night the  end of the road? I take out a sheet of paper to write in an effort to  soothe my unsettled mind.

       My mind wanders back to last night. His family, how nice he was, how intelligent he is, just like Xander. How foreign a simple human  relationship seems to be to him. He truly didn't understand why I wanted  to know all these little things; he couldn't find the connection of why  they are so important.

       It's odd, really, my caring so much for him. I mean, it isn't a surprise  or anything. He was only infuriating when I was judgemental of him. Now I understand he is just clueless to human connection and that it isn't  entirely his fault for the way he is. And I'm sure whatever happened  with Carl Powers didn't help any. But it's almost like I was hiding him.  From the police... from Raven. I mean... I'm not even sure what I mean right now. But I do like his smile...

       "Dr. Allen?" I snap out of my thoughts and look at Nancy talking to me. "Someone is here for you."

       I take a deep breath to calm down. Today is not a day I need unexpected  appointments. "Alright, Nancy," I say at last. "Send them in."

       A man comes into my office, carrying a vase of flowers. "Ms. Allen?" he asks.

       I draw my brows in confusion, even though I'm pretty sure of where this is going. "Yes?"