chapter 39 RD

C:
::day of the trial::
::dressed her most proffessional get-up::
::does her hair up real nicely::
::her single strand of pearls::
::modest earrings::
::goes to the trial and arrives an hour early::
J:
::rises::
Ben:
::stands::
Ben Poole, your honor
Judge:
Thank u.
May the witness please rise and state ur name.

C:
::stands::
Cameron Allen

Judge:
I know the prosecuting side well. No need to introduce u.
The prosecuting side may begin.
#u may want him to call jim ti stand first#
Mycroft's lawyer:
The prosecution would like to call Jim Moriarty to the stand
Baliff:
::holds out the bible::
Please place ur right hand on the bible.
PA:
Is it true, Jim, that u killed ::name:: by means of a sniper?
J;
Yes
PA:
you've planned this killing, then?
J:
It wasn't exactly complicated but yes it was planned
PA:
Are u implying u killed on a whim?
J:
I'm implying that I decided to kill him and he was dead an hour later.
PA:
The defendant has admitted to the charges. That is all I have for now.
::sits::

Judge:
would the defendants like to say anything?
Ben:
Not yet your honor
Judge:
Would the prosecutors like to call the witness to the stand?

PA:
No, your honor.

Judge:
would the defendants like to call the witness to the stand?
#this should b yes and will open discussion and battle up#
## ok
B:
Yes, your w
*honor
#lol#
C:
::gets sworn in::
::takes seat at the stand::
B:
How long have you known the defendant, miss Allen?
C:
Almost 2 and a half months.
B:
During the last two and a half months has he ever shown to have a dangerous or malicious manner? Towards you or anyone else?
C:
No.
On the contrary, I have seen him to be protective.
L:
::nods::
Protective.
Would you even say loyal?
C:
to those who have manged to gain any amou,t of Jim's trust, yes. I would say he is loyal.
B:
That being the case, it would seem *disloyalty* might be a great offence in his eyes, do u agree?
C:
Yes.
L:
Then is it feasible that in the eyes of the defendant, the death of Jared Brown was a reasonable punishment for what he had done?
C:
Yes-

PA:
Ur honor, the defendant has plead guilty already

Judge:
Sit.
You may continue, Miss Allen.

C:
Thank u, ur honor.
As I was saying, in Jim's eye, yes it is feasible.

#now is an excellent time for having poole ask her to expand on this#
B:
Would you mind explaining your answer?
C:
Jim has very black and white thinking patterns. Either it is or it isnt. He has little to no comprehension of basic abstract concepts because of his high intellect and his tendency to only see things at face value.
L:
Are you suggesting that mr moriarty is mentally incapable of understanding what he was doing?
C:
I am saying Jim is incapable of understanding the significance of what he has done.

#lawyer should drop it and allow prosecuting attorney to take effect#
B:
Thank you
Defense rests.
Judge:
::unexpected turn of event::
would the prosecuters like to add anything?

PA:
::glances at Mycroft to see if he has anything he wants to advise the lawyer to::
PA:
yes, your honor.
::gets up::
are u saying, miss allen, that intelligence is a handicap?

C:
Extreme intelligence, yes.
With all due respect, ur client has a similar disability.
#rm for reaction from Mycroft#
## lol
My:
::surprised::
L:
Well miss Allen may I point out that my client hasn't murdered anyone
C:
That wasnt my point, sir.

PA:
What was the point, then?

C:
Your client is highly intelligent and yet is incapable of comprehending compassion or simple human relations.
Jim has the same problem, just perhaps a bit more intensified.
your client can see grey areas just fine, whereas Jim only sees the black and white, cold hard facts and is unable to comprehend how the reasons why are so incredibly impirtant.
L:
Would you care to explain how you came to the conclusion that this is a form of disability?
c:
It isolates the person from other people and often cause them to feel bored by everyone and everything. In Jim's case, this has caused him to resort to crimes because of the challenges it presents.
similarly, ur client has resorted to fighting crime because criminals are fairly unpredictable in comparison to most law-abiding folks. Both results are fairly common results for people with over intelligence.
L:
So you're saying the defendant should be excused because of this?
C:
I'm saying that his disability can be overcome given both time and guidance.
L:
Ah I see, miss allen.
And does this disability account for the defendant's tenancy to become obsessive to the point of losing touch with reality?
C:
In my time of knowing Jim, I have not seen him either obsessive nor having lost touch woth reality.
L:
Yes but as you stated earlier, you've only known him for just over two months.
C:
I am also a psychotherapist.
I am trained to see and notice such tendencies and have worked with many that do lose touch with reality.
I have not seen Jim exhibit anything in the likeness of loss of reality.
#change last sentence to#
Jim is not one of them.
L:
That's interesting.
I'd like to call attention to evidence taken from the defendants previous place of residence.
C:
::waits patiently to see what he's talking about::
L:
::shows the map with the places sherlock was going and with the words written all over it::
This appears to be a map showing the whereabouts of mr She
rlock Holmes, my clients brother. Whom the defendant was strongly obsessed with a short time ago.
C:
Strictly speaking, Obsession does not mean being out of touch with reality. And if someone or something has managed to capture the intrest of someone easily bored due to high intelligence, then yes, one could say they may become obsessed with whatever has captured their interest.
L:
Oh but the defendant was much more than interested, as my client can testify to.
This became quite a production. Mr holmes becoming the only subject o
f his focus. Even repeatedly scrawling his name onto the walls of his cell with his bare hands.
C:
That still falls under the the 'may become obsessed' with something or someone that has captured their intrest. The fewer things that capture the intrest of a highly intelligent person, the higher the chance of becoming obsessed with what little does.
but ocd does not account for loss of touch with reality.
Nor do I see how this bit of evidence pertains to this trial in particular.
L:
Im getting to that
During that same time we saw the defendant's particular fixation on poetry and fairy tales.
Kidnapping children to play out the sto
ry of Hansel and Gretel. Strapping explosives to civilians and forcing them to recite riddles certainly doesn't seem like ordinary behavior.
C:
Fairytales and poetry are just riddles in disguise, a form of a puzzle. Playing out an elaborate fairytale to see who, if anyone, can figure them out and match his level of intellect and hunger for challenge.
L:
It seems as though you're minimizing these things.
C:
on the contrary, I stand before u nolonger as a witness, but as a Doctor since u seem to be testing my ability as a psychotherapist.
L:
I'm not testing your ability. I'm merely questioning whether your personal feelings for Jim are influencing your opinion.
C:
I entered into this relationship knowing full well Jim's history. I understood and noticed Jim's disability from day day one b4 any emotional attatchments were formed.
But, dont rely on just my professional opinion.
Jim has been to psychotherapy and his therapist had drawn a very similar conclusion.
L:
Oh? Are they here today?
C:
We have the documentations of Dr. Maria Chavez
::nodding towards poole::
#the doxuments should b brought to Mycrofts lawyer so he can examine them#
C:
And if u doubt the credibility of the written document, there are audio recordings we can obtain.
no doubt Mycroft knows this.
My:
::unappreciative look cuz of him being recorded::
Ben:
::gives mycrofts lawyer the papers::
L:
::looks them over::
#will see jim expressed how Cameron thought he didnt comprehend value of life followed by jim's personal thoughts of not bothered by planning death because everyone dies. They will see him mention numerous times how people are boring. Also how he was unable to understand himan relationships and that Maria tried reasoning by means of his relationship with cameron the gold illustration. Will also see how he had been given and tried cooperating with execises#
L:
These documents seem to support what you say. That the defendant hasn't been able to understand the grey areas as you word it.
But let me ask you this
: is a lack of understanding the only thing at work here?
Using killing and violence to play out some sort of story as we've seen before.
Look at the way
mr Brown was killed.
He wasn't just shot with a sniper. He was shot specifically in the back, through the heart. A twisted expression of poetry, exposin
g mr Brown's act of treachery.
We see repeatedly in evidence submitted to the court the phrase 'poetry in death' and other musings of the defendant found
in each place of residence.
It would seem there is more than a lack of understanding contributing to his acts and I would go so far as to say he would b
e a danger to the public and will continue to be such.
C:
I disagree.
L:
I'm sure you do.
But can you account for this behavior that seems more fitting of a psychopathic killer than someone high intellect?
C:
Sociopath is merely a fancy word for anti-social.
Anti-social plus the inability to comprehend the value of life and the inability to connect with fellow humans due to vast differences between his intellect and that of the average person equals the very disability I have brought to ur attention.
#add#
So yes.
I can account for such behavior.
L:
Let's look at the definition of a sociopath just to be clear to the courts
A sociopath is a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in e