chapter nine

Cheering up your girlfriend is difficult. You wanna help and you wanna make her happy, but there's only so many puns you can tell her and so many cuddles you can give.

This past week, Camila hasn't been answering any of her parents' texts or phone calls. She's been devoting all her time to work and Sofi, and honestly it's very grown-up of her. However, I figured out finally what would really cheer her up halfway through the week.

I started a group chat with the entire color guard, Normani and Jamie included, asking if they could escort Camila down the field on Senior Night. They all agreed to it, but now I just have to get my girl excited for the game.

Wednesday afternoon, I knocked on the door of the Cabello residence, and the smaller Cabello answered the door.

"Y/N!" Sofi exclaimed.

"Hey, pal!" I said, giving her a high five. "Where's Mila?"

"Um, she's like sleeping on the couch." Sofi looked into the house. "Not sure if that's Kaki or a wild bear, though..."

"Well, I got her something!" I laughed. "Let's go find out where she is, okay?"

Sofi nodded as we closed the door behind us, and together we tiptoed into the house. There, underneath a big fuzzy brown blanket, Camila was snoring. Probably because she's been working every day this week since we got back.

I put my gift down, and got ready to pounce with Sofi.

"Okay, one...two...three!" Together, Sofi and I pounced onto a sleeping Camila, who screamed a little but suddenly got the realization what was going on.

"SOFIA!!! Y/N!!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE!!!!" Camila got up and began to tickle both of us.

"HAHAHA- MILA, I- HAHAHA- MILA- HAHAHA- MILA, STOP! I GOT YOU- HAHA!" She tickled my sides viciously as Sofi got away and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Y/N wanted to give you this." She told her, showing her my gift.

Camila unwrapped the gift to reveal what it contained- a chocolate-covered fruit basket.

"I know you've been stressed and stuff." I told her, getting up from the couch. "So I got you some fruit in a basket. And yeah, they're mostly bananas."

She got up, giving me a faint smile. She embraced me, but I could tell her parents have really been taking a toll on her.

"Babygirl," I pleaded with her. "Please come to the game Friday. Sofi can walk you across the field."

Camila turned to her sister, smiling and eating the fruit.

"Well...okay." Camila said. "I guess it won't be so bad, then."

"Did you start your homework yet?" I asked her, pushing the hair out of her face.

"No, I swear AP History will be the death of me." She laughed.

"I have my books in my car. Want me to stay and help you out?" She nodded, and I came back with my book bag.

"Okay, so can you tell me who was President during the time of the Stock Market Crash in 1928?" I asked.

"Uh...Hoover?" She answered.

"Yeah, that's right." I smiled, opening my textbook. "Now, can you tell me why they named the Hoovervilles set up around the city about him?"

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Friday night was the start of the turn in the brutal weather that awaited us. Ally brought even more hot chocolate than last time. People brought blankets. Hand warmers were being passed around. Luckily, I shared a blanket with Camila.