chapter twenty one

"You're not even Irish!" I yelled into the phone. "Why are you throwing a Saint Patrick's Day Party?"

"Well, you see," Dinah replied. "Nela is half Irish..."

"You're doing all this because of Nela? Dinah, he's just a guy!"

"You know who else is here?" Dinah asked, knowing that I knew she was smirking through the phone.

"Camila?"

"Guess again." Dinah begged.

"Laur- no, she can't be at that party. She doesn't mix well with parties. She came alone, right?"

"How'd you know?"

"I'm coming to take her home." I hung up the phone and got into my car.

It was a complete accident that I knew Lauren drank too much at parties. One night, she came home from a party completely wasted. Only she wasn't at her house. She was in my front yard.

Pulling up to Dinah's house, it was tamer than imagined. Nothing was broken yet, but I was even more shocked that Dinah got her entire family of 26 people to leave the house so she could throw a party. I also can't believe Nate allowed her to do this. He was the only one of us with common sense.

I walked up to the door, but Dinah already opened it for me.

"Thank God you're here. It's getting way too out of control." Dinah yelled over the blasting music.

"Where is she?" I asked, tired and a little hungry.

"She's upstairs in the bathtub." Dinah told me, and that's when I went up the stairs.

"Y/N! Wait! What do I do?" Dinah panicked.

"Just Google some cop car sounds and plug them into your speaker system." I remarked. "Red and blue lights help too."

I walked to the bathroom, picking the lock to the door to find Lauren with a tear-stained face, looking sad, angry, or maybe both.

"My hero." She grumbled.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I scolded. "I can't keep doing this, Lauren. You shouldn't be even touching alcohol after freshman year."

"I- I didn't even have that much." Lauren mumbled.

"Why are you at a party if you're sad?" I asked, climbing into the tub with her.

Lauren wiped her eyes, scrunching her eyebrows up at me as if she was trying to focus on me.

"You make me sad." Lauren carefully said. "And happy, and angry, and maybe sometimes really nervous."

"Lauren." I consoled.

"I'm in love with you, Y/N." Lauren testified.

I stopped breathing for a second.

"No, you're not supposed to fall in love with me." I shook my head.

"I'm not joking." Lauren looked into my eyes, running her thumb around my forehead scar. Her eyes, however, were transfixed on my lips. She leaned in, kissing me with all the slow passion that she could. For a second, I felt intoxicated because Lauren was intoxicated.

"Laur, we need to get you home." I moaned as she slipped her tongue in my mouth.

"30 more minutes." She pleaded.

I didn't know how to say "no" to Lauren. Perhaps, it was because I didn't ask Camila to say "yes". Also, Lauren was my middle school crush. How many people get to make out with their middle school crush? I wish I didn't break it off like I did, though.