chapter twenty three

My mother, the most hardworking individual I know, was working late. It was the middle of the week, and I had no jazz band or Animal House practice. So, I went home from school and decided to spend a day with Jamie.

"Jamie, I'm home!" I announced, walking in only to find my sister on the couch, watching the copy of 'The Notebook' Camila let her borrow during last year's winter guard season. She was wrapped in a blanket, eating ice cream out of the carton. Magazine quizzes were spread out over the table, her phone was buzzing every five seconds, and the wastebasket next to her was filled with tissues.

"H-Hi, Y/N." She stammered.

"What's wrong?" I asked, sitting down next to her and pausing the movie.

"Eric is such a- can I use that curse word?"

"Of course."

"An asshole. He's such a freaking asshole." Jamie told me.

"What did he do?" I asked again, getting angrier and angrier at this boy.

Eric was Jamie's friend's best friend, who asked her out back in October. He seemed like an okay guy at first, but I grew to hate him when he started getting less defensive. Eric began showing up to less football games, and that made Jamie really upset. They would get into fights and then apologize but this time, it was different.

"He's been flirting with all these freshman who go to the high school!" Jamie sobbed into my arms. "How could I have been so stupid?"

"Jamie, its not your fault." I explained. "You're such a wonderful young woman and one day, you'll find the boy of your dreams. But, think about it like this: you're one step closer to finding your soulmate."

Jamie blew her nose as the doorbell rang.

"If that's Eric, I give you permission to punch him in the jaw!" Jamie yelled.

I opened the door to reveal Camila, looking tan in her leggings and hoodie, dropping her bag outside. Her hair was in a messy bun, and she looked tired. But, my smile was so big when I saw her standing in my doorway.

"I got off the plane." Camila smiled, making a reference to Friends.

"CAMILA!" I screamed, grabbing her bag, pulling her into my house and spinning her around. I put her down after she laughed and swatted at my arms.

"Hi." She said, hugging me.

"Hi." I said back, kissing her off guard. She eased into the kiss, wrapping her arms around my neck and pulling me closer.

Camila broke apart from the kiss, noticing Jamie in the living room with a tear-stained face.

"Is she okay?" She whispered.

"She broke up with Eric. He was talking to other girls. Ninth graders, to be exact." I replied.

"Oh my god, that's terrible." She gasped.

Camila walked into the living room, sitting down next to Jamie and giving her a hug.

"Jamie, you deserve many things in the world, but you do not deserve him." She told her.

"I know. I think I'll feel better in a week." Jamie confessed.

Camila glanced at me, and suddenly turned back to Jamie.

"You know, Y/N and I planned to go on a date tonight at the Rainforest Cafe. I would like it if you came with us."

"REALLY?!" Jamie shouted. "That's awesome!"