chapter twelve

Due to the fact there were several cops at Homecoming, Shawn remained civil. I've never seemed someone look more painfully uncomfortable than Shawn. He looked like he wanted to punch my teeth out, but as soon as he saw an officer donned in blue he tensed up. And when he saw Camila? I'm quite surprised he didn't throw a fit after that.

We ended up sitting outside in the Gardens instead of in the manor, which was aesthetically pleasing. There was always something to look at that was undeniably stunning.

Of course, Camila fit right in.

"So," Dinah began, eyeing us as we took Snapchat selfies together. "How did you guys make up? A while back you guys weren't even talking."

Camila's laughter was silenced. My cheeks turned red.

"Um...it's all about communicating, you know?" I mustered. "You just gotta talk it out and stuff, right Mila?"

"Oh, duh, of course!" Camila held back a laugh.

"Or you could not talk at all." Dinah accused. "I know all, Cabello. I am like one of those mediums from Long Island who has a show on TLC. I see all."

Nate chuckled as he finished his plate of food.

"Why the hell did Shawn show up?" Nate asked.

"He's Hailee's childhood friend." I explained. Like Camila, Hailee went to Ridgeview but came to Garrison after she decided she didn't like the crowd that attended the school. But, she still kept in touch with some of her friends. Shawn was apparently one of them.

"I knew her when I went. She was one of the only I truly liked." Camila told me. "She wasn't an ass, but she just has poor judgement."

Just then, Lauren emerged with her date.

Oh shit, I thought. He makes me look like a cereal box.

He had a clean shaven face and a tuxedo that fit him like a glove. His brown hair was pushed back and he was holding Lauren's hand.

And Lauren? She was gorgeous in her red dress. I know the event was semi-formal, but she clearly went all out. For what reason, I'm not quite sure.

"Damn girl." Dinah shouted as she approached us.

"Guys, meet Luis." She introduced. "He's my boyfriend."

There was an awkward silence that followed. 9 months ago, she would've been wanting to say the same for me.

Camila was the brave one, and got up and shook his hand.

"Hi, Luis. It's nice to meet you." She smiled. "This is my girlfriend, Y/N. And these are our crazy friends, Nate, Ally, Dinah, and Normani."

Everyone waved as he shyly waved back.

Just then, someone walked out from the manor and ran to our table.

"Dinah?" Jarryd emerged, making Dinah's breath hitch and her body tense up. "Hey, I'm so sorry I was late. Wanna go dance and talk a little?"

Dinah turned to Nate and I, who were gesturing for her to go and dance with him.

"Um- uh- well," She stuttered. "Sure?"

Jarryd smiled, walking Dinah in the room, hand in hand.

"FINALLY!" Ally exclaimed.

"Lauren, can I talk to you for a second?" I asked. She nodded, and we went behind the hedges to talk.

Her hands were shaking, so I grabbed one.