chapter seventeen

"You've got to be kidding me." Nate remarked, setting down a platter of empty dishes at the diner. There was one person who wasn't too keen on the idea of finding Shawn.

"Nate, please." I attempted to bargain. "I know this isn't exactly what you want-"

"This is exactly what I don't want." Nate stated. "Y/N, he ruined your life. And yet you're willing to risk everything to save him."

"I thought he was dead. Because of me."

"That officer was acting in his own self-defense!" He whispered, washing the dishes by the kitchen sink. "It wasn't your fault."

I grabbed his arm, blocking his path back to the tables.

"It was my fault. You know how many people came up to me and called me a hero? I'm not a hero. I'm the villain, because I let them hurt him at his most vulnerable point."

"Hey, stop that. You could only do so much." Nate said, suddenly realizing what he said. "Damn it! Now I'm agreeing with you!"

"Nate, you're not a spiteful person." I told him. "Help me find him."

"Ally won't let me." He argued, making his way to a table.

"So? It's not like you guys are married or something."

Nate stopped in his tracks, frozen.

"Oh my god." I screamed. "Are you-?

"No, not yet, no." Nate revealed. "We just got promise rings."

"Wow, wonder where you got that idea from."

"Hey, at least we aren't going to some old church and reciting vows!" Nate shot back.

"Does Dinah know?"

"Not even our parents know. My mom doesn't even know I applied to Fredricksen."

Nate's dream school was Fredricksen, which also happened to be Mulligan's rival school. He wanted to become either an incredible doctor, or a musician who finally figures out how to march timpani drums. Whichever comes first.

"You should tell her about the Ally thing and Fredricksen." I said, hugging him for a split second. "She'll understand."

"Yeah... Hey, Y/N? How are you going to convince your mom to let you go after Shawn?"

"I don't know."

"Great plan."

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

"Lauren!" I yelled into my phone. "Pick up!"

A voice that wasn't Lauren's answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Lucy." I replied. "I need to talk to Lauren for a second, is that alright?"

Lucy and Lauren- where do I start? Lauren and Lucy have been in a band with their parents since as long as I could remember. they both did marching band, they both sang incredibly, and they both struggled coming to terms with their sexuality. They were two peas in a pod, best friends. I don't know what happened, but now they've been dating for a while. Lauren has never been happier, and that makes me happy. Perhaps Lauren finally found her "lobster", as Phoebe from Friends would say.

"Sure! One sec, she's making rice."

After a few seconds, Lauren's raspy voice was heard.

"Hey, Y/N. What's up?"