chapter twenty two

"IT'S MIIIIIIINE!" Nate yelled, waving it over his head. "THE SPIRIT STICK IS MIIIIIIIIINE!!!"

"You technically share it with the entire class." I laughed.

"Shut up, it's mine." Nate shot back, twirling the stick around. "I feel like Rafiki in The Lion King."

Five minutes into Animal House's first ever band practice, Nate was singing "Circle of Life", Lauren was texting Lucy, and I was too busy setting up the equipment.

After drawing straws, we decided that I would play bass, Lauren would play piano, and Nate would play drums. Nate said on some songs, we could switch instruments.

"Can we have a band without a guitarist?" Lauren asked. "It would work if we only wanted to be a Twenty One Pilots cover band, but if we wanna do other songs, we might need a guitarist."

"It's our first practice." I thought out loud. "Wait next week, and we'll have auditions or something."

"You just want Camila to join, don't you?" Nate teased.

"She's getting a lot better." I argued. "She just can't play riffs."

"Well, get her a new teacher!"

"I am her teacher." I deadpanned.

"Okay, are we gonna stand here or play something?" Lauren shot back. "Let's do Special Affair."

"Oh my gosh. Not Special Affair." I laughed nervously.

"You know it, right, Y/N?" Lauren asked.

How could I forget? It was the song we made out to.

"Yeah, the bass line is pretty simple. I could-"

Just then, my phone began to ring.

"Give me a second, guys." I answered. "Hello?"

"BABY!" Camila yelled into the phone.

"Camila, aren't you at the wedding?"

"YES! BUT I HAD TO CALL AND TELL YOU THAT ED SHEERAN PUT OUT NEW MUSIC!" Camila screamed. "I DITCHED A CONGA LINE TO TELL YOU THIS!"

"Baby, I would love to listen to it right now!" I giggled. "But, I'm at band practice."

"Oh, sorry, I'll let you go."

"Hey, I wanna see some vacation pictures." I teased.

"You'll get some in fifteen minutes after you're done playing music."

"Okay, love you."

"Love you more."

"Not possible."

"Goodbye, Y/N."

I hung up the phone, and looked at Nate and Lauren.

"Ed Sheeran released some new music." I explained.

"Makes sense." Nate told Lauren.

"Alright, let's do this." Lauren said as I grabbed my bass and Nate went behind the drum.

Nate counted off and I began to play the bass. Lauren waited a few measures and started to sing the song.

Penny for your thoughts, I know what you want
I can read your mind even from behind
And fuck what's in your phone, lemme take you home, I wanna take you home

Cause it's so rare that I'm here, don't plan on staying too long
So you should come here, sit your ass on this throne
This a special affair, better act like you know who I am, who I am