chapter thirty (epilogue)

SIX MONTHS LATER

We finally buried the school rivalry between Garrison and Ridgeview. After that year, the students and staff formed a truce, refusing to take part in nothing but friendly competition. It was crazy to think that it was all over now. After that, Prom rolled around, and finally, Graduation. Everything after that was quiet. Most of my nights were spent playing arcade games with Nate, writing music with Lauren, and baking with Ally. I was about to leave behind my hometown for the first time in my life to embark on a new journey- college. Though I was terrified, everyone around me told me I would grow to love it.

Finals were finally done, and although college finals were emotionally destructive, nothing was more destructive than the six month break Camila and I mutually decided to take in our relationship. We took this time because we both felt like we needed to find ourselves in the aftermath of that night in the forest. It really hurt when she told me it, but after a while I felt like it was for the best. I made new friends and took new classes. I tried to find my place in college, and it was hard at first. But seven concerts and one marching band season later, I think I've finally gotten closer to becoming a music teacher. I hadn't talked to her all semester, but one night she called me up while I was in my dorm. I was nervous to answer the phone.

"H-Hello?" I answered the phone on the third ring.

"Hey, Y/N. It's me. Are you free Thursday night?" Her voice sounded so much more mature. She sounded more studious. It was different, but it was a good kind.

"Uh, yeah of course!"

"Cool. Meet me at the Lounge in the Student Center at 7."

"You got it, Cabello." I could feel her smile through the phone.

"Have a nice night. Y/N."

"You too." I hung up and was on the verge of tears. She wanted to see me. This could be a good or bad thing. I hoped it was a good thing.

"What was that about?" My roommate Cassie asked.

"Camila wants to see me Thursday night." I beamed.

"FINALLY! You talk in your sleep, and all I ever hear is her voice." Cassie ranted. "Don't get me wrong, it's really cute. But you need to find out what's up. You think six months changed anything?"

"Not for me. For her, I don't know. She's been studying really hard, I heard. Took eighteen credits her first semester."

"Wow. That's a lot. Damn, Allen, you go after the smart girls."

I chuckled, quickly texting Dinah.

Y/N: DINAH. DINAH. DINAHHHHHHH.

Dinah chose to go to a state school back home in order to be closer to her family. It was hard being away from one of my closest friends, but we texted each other every day.

China Jane 🎐👹🌝 💁🏽: you woke me up from my nap so this BETTER be good.

Y/N: mila just called me and asked me to meet her thursday night

China Jane 🎐👹🌝 💁🏽: ARE YOU SERIOUS????? Y/N THIS IS AMAZING

China Jane 🎐👹🌝 💁🏽: please don't fuck this up

China Jane 🎐👹🌝 💁🏽: this could go either way

Y/N: i know, but that just makes me more nervous.

China Jane 🎐👹🌝 💁🏽: don't be! you know camila would never intentionally hurt you.

Y/N: she'd also never do something out of the blue like this. it has been six months.