chapter twenty

"New year, new prices!" Koa, my boss, announced through the store. "Thanks for coming in, Y/N. It's not everyday that an employee can come the day after New Years."

I was super tired from celebrating New Years with my friends, but Koa was such a great guy and such a nice boss that it was incredibly hard to say no to him. I was one of seven workers at the store, and the job was just so fun that I liked coming to work.

"It's all good, Koa!" I told him, opening a new box of comics. "Yes!! We got the new shipment of Red Hood and the Outlaws!"

"Red Hood is alright, but he would never last in a battle with Deathstroke." Koa playfully argued.

"Not true! In Nightwing: The Series, Red Hood takes Deathstroke out with a sniper." I counteracted. "Deathstoke has no stealth; Red Hood is more dangerous because of his volatile allegiance."

Just then, the door to the shop opened, and I knew who it was without even looking.

"Oh, Y/N!" Nate sang. "You know what today is!"

"It's pay day!" Dinah added. "Time to splurge on comic books like the children we are!"

"Hello, Nathan! Dinah!" Koa smiled. "We just got a shipment of Red Hood and the Outlaws!"

"Actually, I'm here for some wood, Koa." Nate revealed. "Do you have any spokes for wheels and stuff?"

"What are you trying to make?" I asked him.

"Okay, I guess I have to tell now." Nate put down a stuffed manila folder onto the counter. "You know how Spirit Week is in a week and a half? Well, they gave us our themes- ancient civilizations. Freshman got Vikings, Sophomores got Egypt, Juniors got Mongols, and we got Greece. And I wanted to make a chariot, or at the very least, like a small one that can be pulled by my friend Tyler's husky dogs."

"Oh my god. Dude, that's so cool." I admitted. "I get off in a little bit. I can help."

"Yeah, we needed to come ask you a question." Dinah told me. "Can we use Camila's backyard?"

"What-why do you need to use her backyard?"

"Because it's a huge backyard, and it's going to be challenge to teach two dogs to ride on a chariot." Nate explained. "Please? I'll be your best friend!"

"You already are, shut up." I told him.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

We all drove to Camila's house after work, and surprisingly she wasn't there. Camila worked on this thing called "Cuban time". When she's late to things, it's a continuous pattern for two whole weeks at most. And because of her parents lately, Cuban time has become all the time.

"Where is she?" Dinah asked.

"She's probably picking up Sofi from dance. She'll be here any moment now."

"She's a slow driver." Nate added.

Just then, Camila pulled in to the house parking lot. She exited the car holding groceries, textbooks, and Sofi's dance bag. I went to go help her. She did not seem in the best mood.

"I'll get the groceries." I told her. She handed them over to me, still pissed off. "Is everything good?"

"Just get everything inside." She said through gritted teeth.

"Mommy and Daddy are coming over for dinner." Sofi clarified. "I think you should talk to Kaki. She's a little stressed."

I nodded, and went to the kitchen to look for her. There she was, sorting jars and boxes, cursing under her breath.