chapter fifteen

sorry this took so long to update lmao forgive me

Jellystone was an exclusive resort and camping ground only for friends and families of Wilderness Scouts. The organization itself was non-profit, so it used the campsites across the country to fund troops and activities. It was perfect for non-outdoorsy people, and if you played your cards right, great for outdoorsy people.

Camila's relationship with her parents isn't great now. They've signed on to another case right before Christmas, but made sure to give Camila and Sofi money for the vacation this weekend. Camila refused to touch it, and instead paid for the entire trip using her collected paychecks from Hibachi Jose's. She put the money aside, however, in case of an emergency.

I feel bad because I know Alejandro and Sinu want to try, but it's hard when you're working all the time. They're also poor communicators, but I hoped that one day I could be the bridge that connects them with their daughter.

Camila and Sofi carpooled with Dinah and I, while Nate and Ally were in a separate car with my parents. Ally and my mother got along very well, and it was like there was no age difference between them. As for Nate and my stepfather Greg, the two often butted heads on scientific subjects that I couldn't even process in the first place.

"Am I reading this map right?" Dinah asked, holding it upside down.

"You're a scout, Dinah! Aren't you supposed to know this?" Camila joked.

"She's the Troop Webmaster." I explained, mentioning her positions in the troop.

"And what are you and Nate?" She asked.

"Nate is Patrol Leader and Historian. I'm Den Chief and Junior Assistant Scoutmaster."

"And that means?" Sofi asked, making me laugh.

"It means I help out with the younger scouts and keep contact with the Council. Basically, the Council assigns us stuff, and I report it back. When I turn 18, I can become an Assistant Scoutmaster and help run a troop."

"I wanna be a Wilderness Explorer!" Sofi told Camila.

"Maybe Y/N and Dinah can teach you how."

"Sofi, dont do it. It's actually really hard." Dinah complained. "You gotta know how to do everything. And I mean EVERYTHING."

"Dinah, all you do is go through forms and tweet about open troop nights."

"It's hard work!" Dinah shot back.

We pulled into the parking lot, counting the numbers on the cabin doors until we finally stopped at Cabin 1432. I parked to reveal a friendly face waving to me.

"Scoutmaster Barrett!" I yelled, coming up to him and giving him a hug.

Scoutmaster Barrett was the leader for the troop Nate and I started in as kids. Without him, I wouldn't have even wanted to still be in scouts.

"Y/N! I heard you were stopping by for the weekend with Powell! Where is he?"

"He's probably gotten a little lost on the road." I explained. "He's not exactly reading the map; Someone's reading it for him."

"Ally?" He smirked, gaining a laugh out of the both of us.

Everyone knew Nate and Ally were dating because Ally catered every event. They also knew how much Ally strongly disliked the outdoors.

"She's going to have barrels of fun here." Barrett joked. "Well, I just wanted to invite you to the Bonfire tonight. Maybe you could show off your famous storytelling skills to the new campers?"