chapter sixteen

"Shouldn't you be in prison?" I asked, trying yet failing to sound brave. I was terrified of him, and not because he had a gun. I was terrified because he looked as if for once, he had finally given up. Nothing is more terrifying than someone who has given up, because they'll do whatever it takes to get what they lost back.

"It's been a month, you really think they'll put me in prison?" Shawn laughed. "No, I'm apparently a kid that's 'good at heart' and 'deserves one more shot in the courtroom'. Cabellos want to take up my case again."

"They're lawyers, it's kind of what the state pays them to do." I said through gritted teeth. "Camila doesn't like it, but it's their job."

"I'm not here for Camila. I'm here to talk to you." He lowered his gun, keeping it loose in the fingers of his gauzed hand. "It's not easy to escape juvenile detention."

"I didn't know they sent you to juvie."

"I didn't think you would know the consequences of your actions."

"My dad was worried." I said, sitting down on a rock to catch my breath.

"Ah yes, let's talk about your disgraced father, and how he decided to show up at a perfect time."

"Watch it, Mendes."

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." He chastised. "Not everyone gets a full ride to Mulligan. It's so easy to lose with a police record."

I stood up, facing him eye to eye. I was terrified, but if I let him know that, I was a goner.

"You have a point. So, what do you want?"

"I want you to know, while you go on with your life, while you make choices and decisions, it affects me. Don't think we're done after you turn me from a prep school kid to a prisoner in the county jail. Don't you dare underestimate me."

"Y/N? Baby?" The voice belonged to a worried Camila. "Are you out here?"

"Shit." I muttered.

Shawn panicked, grabbing me and putting the gun to my neck.

"Shawn, holy shit. Put that down." I rambled. "She deserves to know what's going on."

"She sounded different up here." Shawn lowered the gun.

"Mila, honey! I'll be down in a second-"

Before I could finish the sentence, Camila was right in front of me.

"Y/N- Why the hell is he here?" Camila's tone changed. "Why did you tell me to stay down there? What is this about?"

"He showed up here. Camila, I promise you. You need to trust me right now. He has a gun. He isn't happy. Please, just stay behind me."

"If you think I'm letting him hurt you again, you must be crazy." Camila stated. "Mendes! Drop your gun!"

Shawn threw his gun back, landing it directly into the water. Camila grabbed his jacket, forcing him to the ground.

"Listen, you bastard. I'm with my family tonight, and the last thing they want is either of us getting hurt. You're going to stay here with Y/N, and I'm calling the cops. You belong behind bars."

"I thought you had a kinder heart." He muttered.

Camila's fist connected with his jaw, leaving both Shawn and I in shock. Camila's never hit anyone before, except Dinah on accident once.

"Guess again. I'm a Cabello."

Camila sauntered off, handing Shawn to me by the collar of his jacket.