Once upon a time

The horizon had a colour of burning red like of champagne in the autumn evening fading into the saffron and warm ochre.Trees were standing bare, branches swinging when a gust of strong gale would pass through them and wind rustled the leaves carrying them along with her. Dried orange and red leaves of maple dusted the  the ground that struck the nude eye marvellously in the golden streaks of autumn sun giving a sense of warmth against the bone chilling air. The turquoise colour of water in the small pond that was filled with the leaves, mirroring the grey sky and trunks of trees, sparkled and glittered in the beams of sunlight.

 She sat under the old wood bridge on a small rock in a pond holding her bleeding knee. She had been wandering around in the forest and strayed farther from where her family was. The water splashed as a figured trudged through the pond and stood in front of her. He was in grey frock, long black hair brushed past his waist in gentle curls. He bent forward, hands resting on his knees looked at her with his big saucer eyes.

"Are you hurt?" He asked her squatting in front of her and pressed onto her wound.

"Don't touch" she flinched away tearing up and gripped her knee tightly. He stood  up, his shoes and stockings already wet for being in the pond and ran into the woods. She looked in his direction and shrank down hugging her knees and hoping her father would find her lost in the woods. He re-appeared, after few minutes carrying a small white box and flashed her his grin.

"I'll clean your wound", the boy helped her up, slinging arm around her ribs and she skimped out of the pond. They sat on the steps of the bridge and he opened the box. He dabbed her wound clean, blowing  on it when she winced clutching her knee. He rubbed the suave on the wound, staining his dress at his chest when he wiped his hand on it and put a band-aid on her knee.

"See it's okay now. Does it hurt?" He asked her with his childish smile and she moved her knee to and fro to check if it's hurting.

"My leg is good now", she smiled back and extended her hand for him, "I'm Renesmee"

"Renezee, I'm Jared", he shook her hand.

"Is Jared not a name for boys?" She asked, her eyebrows touching her forehead in disbelief. She never heard of a girl called by such a boyish name.

"But mama says it's my name."
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"Alec, finish up your meal quickly", The elder of the two brothers groaned crossing his arms in defiance to put the food in his stomach compared to Jared who gulped down the broth from the bowl and licked his mouth.

"Mama, I'm gonna play outside" He slipped down the chair  taking a small basket and put fruits inside it earning a questioning glance from his mother.

"Are you taking Gina and Alec with you", Elizabeth asked adjusting his hair clip.

 "No, mama I'm playing with my new friend."

"New friend? And what's the name of your friend?" She asked tugging his socks up and kissed his nose making the boy giggle and squelch.

"Renezee" Elizabeth stared at his son trying to recall if she had known anyone in the neighborhood who have a daughter that goes by this name. She couldn't ask son much who took the basket in his both hands and ran outside of the house leaving his confused mother behind.

"Be careful, Jared"
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

They were giggling, screaming and their laughter carried through the red wet woods as they swung the tires hanging down from the branch of old tree. They had discovered the other part of the woods that had scarlet colour of blazing autumn.
"Renezee, where do you live?" He asked clutching the rope between his both hands as he pushed his weight to swing forward.
 "Papa and family are staying at the other side of the woods. But we have huge houses by the end of other lake", she replied and golden loose tendrils of hair from her braid drifted along with the wind that carried the scent of drizzle and wet wood.
 "If you have big houses why are you staying in the woods?"