Midnight

(Alex P.O.V)

We left at midnight.

Stupid. What we did was stupid and I'll never regret it.

The house was quiet. Everyone was asleep except for me and my anxious thoughts. I was in my room, fully dressed, and restlessly sitting on my bed waiting for Luke's message. Without warning, my phone buzzed softly and I immediately grabbed it, already knowing who the text was from.

Luke: Ready?

Alex: Ready as I'll ever be

Quietly I got up to leave the room, careful to not wake up Seth who was sleeping in the bed next to mine. Just as I was just about to reach my hand out to turn the doorknob, Seth stirred and my stomach dropped.

"Shit!" I whispered to myself. After a few seconds he was still again so I hastily turned the knob and left the room. I walked through the hall, downstairs, and stopped at the entrance of the house. I took a deep breathe, knowing that I was defying Ms. Ford and also the fact that I was willingly going out with a person of the other gender which is a whole other area of rebellion on my part. Before those thoughts could stop me from leaving I opened the door and left, not daring to look back.

I found him near my house, standing under the cover of trees that were placed in the front of Ms. Ford's town house. He was dressed completely in black, right down to the backpack that was slung over his shoulder.

"What's with the burglar attire?" I asked, trying to stifle a laugh. He chuckled while looking over his outfit and said, "I felt that it was appropriate since we're sneaking off into the dead of night. Don't you?

"Sure... we should get out of here before anyone walks up."

"My thoughts exactly," he responded with a familiar gleam in his eyes.

It was a surprisingly short walk from the house to the local park, which was convenient since it would easier to run back if we were caught by anyone. It was dark even though the street lights provided a soft orange glow around the area. The grass was soft and slightly damp at the edge of the field where we were sitting and we ate the chips and soda that Luke brought from his home.

It's funny. The standards of romance have dramatically changed as time has passed. For some, romance is luxury; expensive gifts, fairy-tale like dates, and a grand lifestyle. That's not what it's really about. The gifts and the lifestyle aren't important because the person you're with is. Just being near that person is enough. It's all you need really.

There's also behavioral expectations when you're with someone that you care about. Things like table manners, suitable conversation topics, and a certain amount of grace are expected. Luckily, Luke and I decided to say fuck no to those expectations. We ran around, climbed trees, and overall had a great time. Eventually we got a bit tired and decided to sit back down. The moon shined brightly and the stars were seemingly limitless, the atmosphere was unlike any I had ever experienced. Except for maybe when I'm near him...

I was so caught up in my thoughts I didn't even notice that Luke was slowly edging his hand towards mine. He moved closer ever so slightly, until I felt his fingertips brush my hand. I unfurled my fingers from the tight fist I had it in before and let his fingers lace cautiously through mine and could feel the heat of his palm pressed against my own. He squeezed it in a comforting way and I squeezed back, flashing a small smile in response to his gesture.

It was so peaceful and quiet enough for me to hear the muffled thump of my nervous heartbeat. Luke seemed to notice my discomfort and asked me if I was okay. I said that I was... He lifted his hand from mine and looked at me directly. Even in the dim light of the street lamps his mischievous eyes gleamed with familiarity and he was completely focused on me in that blissful moment. Luke leaned towards me, he face just inches away from my own. I held my breath as he came closer. Our lips touched for a brief moment. His lips were soft and sweet.