Chapter Two

There were only two times of the day that it was truly quiet inside of the house: bedtime and nap time. However, nap time was slowly disappearing. Neither boys needed to take naps anymore, nor did they want to take naps anymore. Then the girls had a hard time settling in too, with the boys constantly loud.

Before nap time, it was a wonder if the girls would even go for a nap. Louise had an argument with Freddie, over whose birthday was coming up next. Technically it was the triplets' birthday coming up next, with Freddie's birthday only a few days afterward. It was a busy time inside of the house. Then a few weeks after Freddie's birthday, it was George's 20th birthday. Where had the time gone? Harry thought. As the children argued, Harry's blue eyes looked to his wife, who seemed to be having none of it once again.

Then it popped into his head: it was her birthday, today. Lucy turned thirty-six years old today, and somehow Harry forgot. He cursed himself. Thinking of a way to salvage this, perhaps he could play it off as a surprise, even though he knew Lucy hated surprises. He could send the kids to Buckingham Palace tonight, and they would be there for the evening. Perhaps it would even get a spark back into their relationship, which had only been lacking in the last six years.

"My birthday is more important," Freddie said. "It's only me. I don't have to share. Ha!"

Lucy's eyes swept over to her eldest, whom immediately backed down. However, that gave Louise an easy way to sneak in. "And they had you only to get sick of you so they had others."

"Louise Amelia Margaret!" she exclaimed, but Louise didn't back down. "Upstairs now. Time out."

"You think I care."

"I'll take her," Harry said quickly, scooping up Louise in his arms. She didn't even try to fight him as they went upstairs.

"You'll let me off, Daddy? I didn't do anything wrong. It was all Freddie. He makes me so angry."

Harry put his daughter down. "You can say things like that to anyone. It's mean."

"So it's true?"

"No."

"But I won't get in trouble, right, Daddy? He started it."

"You're still in trouble. Go to your room."

Louise walked away. "I have toys in there." She closed the door.

It wasn't much of a punishment to be sent to your room when she had toys in her room, but there was lack of space for time outs right now. If everyone was in the kitchen, there was no place for her to go. Sometimes the stairs were used, but Lucy wanted the girls to take a nap already. It was just one less step for Lucy.

Glancing down the stairs, Harry knew Lucy wasn't coming up just yet. No one was coming upstairs. He pulled out his mobile and called his brother, William, King of England, after his grandmother and then father died. After a few rings, William answered.

"Wills, is it possible for you to take the kids tonight?" Harry asked outright.

"Why?" William asked through the mobile.

"It's Lucy's birthday."

"Yes."

"And I forgot."

"You forgot?"

"Summer is a busy time. You didn't know."

"Actually I did know."

"Are you going to help me, Wills?"

"I will, but you really think you can pull this one over Lucy's eyes. She's going to see right through this."

"It's a surprise, Wills. She won't even see it coming. I'll get the kids out and then I'll give her a romantic birthday."

"There are already problems blooming," William stated. "Lucy hates surprises and she doesn't like romance."

"I have to do something."

"You could tell her the truth?"

"That's helpful."

"You just said summer is a busy time for everyone."

"Has that ever worked on a woman?" Harry asked his older brother, when they both knew the answer. "Plus, I need to get the mojo back with us."

William laughed. "Oh, it can't be that bad. It's you two after all. You're always fine."

"I haven't had sex with my wife in three years."

"Who have you been having sex with?"

"Wills--"

"Harry, what do you want me to do about this?" the King of England asked. "The kids can sleep over tonight. I'm sure the chef would be happy to whip up something for you guys. The maids could lay out roses and things, but there's a good chance Lucy will see right through it."

"I can hope, can't I?"

"Three years, though?"

"Wills--"

"I'll send a car for the kids tonight." William hung up on his younger brother.

Harry waited upstairs a little longer, listening to the commotion downstairs. Freddie had moved onto arguing with Henry about some sport, while Emma and Beatrice sang loudly to some song. If Lucy's voice was there, it was drowned out. He took a moment to breathe before returning to his family. Lucy had finished up lunch for the kids, and they began to complain again about the food. She just sat down and ate, defeated. Harry sat down and ate too.

After lunch, the girls knew it was time for their naps and had no problem falling asleep. Neither of the girls tried to fight it as their mum turned on their favorite music, closed the curtains and shut off the light. The boys, however, had too much energy for the day, and would wake up the girls if they stayed in the house for too long.

"Harry, take them somewhere," she said.

"Where, Lucy?" Harry asked. "Wherever we go, we get noticed. It's not like before. They'll notice the boys."

"Go to the park. Kick the ball around. Do something with them-- make it look fatherly. Win points that way." Lucy referred to the recent poll numbers, which the public noticed the recent strain on Harry and Lucy's relationship. The poll numbers dipped, which caused even more stress on the pair. It was just one large circle of bad things.

Harry bit back a remark and called for the boys, who were more than happy to get out of the house. They practically ran out, football in hand, ready to play in the park, even if cameras followed them. Before he left, Harry looked back at his wife as she stood in the kitchen. Her hands ran through her blonde hair that already began to lighten over the years. She was still as beautiful as ever, but for Harry, the words wouldn't come out. He couldn't say it to her; it just didn't feel right. Harry said nothing as he left.