Chapter Thirty-Five

Standing in the basement cell, Lucy had some choices to make. Mister Fawkes waited for a response after he threatened Lucy's children. A response would come, but she needed to decide what response it was. Was it supposed to be one where she gave up? Was she supposed to do whatever he said because he threatened her children? Lucy thought about them now, and in truth, they wouldn't have been out of sight of someone. They were on lock down. Yet, he threatened them, and he did nothing stupidly. Mister Fawkes had connections somewhere, especially since he planned Lucy's capture and Tony's death.

Then she had another thoughts. Mister Fawkes had grown too comfortable with it just being them in the room. So what if he had a gun? The safety was on, and Lucy doubted he trained highly. And so what if she died? Lucy was going to die anyway with this thing in her head. They couldn't make a dead person do living things. Lucy doubted it would get that far. Though a pacifist, she was willing to kill today.

"What would you have me do?" Lucy asked. "What do you want from me? What is your goal?"

"Miss Smith, it's a large task for me to say. I want you to do a lot of things, but if you do them correctly, it'll take no time at all and you'll be on your way home. You and your children will be safe."

"And Harry?"

"He's ours."

Lucy's eyes came up to him fully. "You'll let me go? You'll let my children go? We can just be free? You'll never bother of us again?"

"That's correct, Miss Smith. You'll be free. You'll be safe; you're children will be safe. We'll never talk to you again, even approach you. Finally you can have a normal life; finally your children can have a normal life."

"And in return, Harry is yours?"

"Yes. You're not even losing much of anything."

Lucy almost attacked him right then and there. Harry wasn't one to be traded.

"Think of your children, Miss Smith. You don't want them growing up without a mother."

Lucy rocked back on her heels. The children might have been growing up without a mother anyway. "What will you do to Harry?"

Mister Fawkes grew solemn. "He needs to pay for his crimes."

"His crimes?" Lucy scoffed. "What crimes has he committed?"

"He's part of the monarchy, Miss Smith. He is part of the problem. Because of this, he will pay for his crimes."

"I don't understand the crimes, Mister Fawkes." Anger grew in her and so did panic. Because of this, suddenly her head pounded. The lights were too bright. Her heart beat too fast. Lucy shook. "What crimes are there?"

"You know the crimes, Miss Smith, but I shall walk you through them some. There are the old crimes that the monarchy committed: slavery, torture, pillaging, rape, death, stealing and all the wars. There are too many crimes to list. And all will be punished."

"Not I?"

"And not your children."

"Why?"

"You are innocent in this, Miss Smith."

"I'm innocent?"

"Yes."

"My children are not?"

"No."

"They are children!" she screamed. Her voice bounced off her walls. Mister Fawkes held his gun tighter.

"I knew this was going to be hard, Miss Smith, but try to understand. They are free and will not be punished because you cooperated with us."