Chapter Three

When Lucy went to take a shower, he managed to get all the kids packed up and shipped off before she returned downstairs. Within this time, maids set up a nice dinner with red rose petals and light candles. The lights turned low in the apartment. All toys had been placed elsewhere, out of sight and out of mind. Food was set up, her favorites were placed out. Harry dressed in a nice suit, which he only wore to formal events. He hated it nowadays, but he did it for her.

Harry heard the shower turn off upstairs and he readied himself. Standing at the bottom of stairs with a bouquet of red roses, he awaited his wife. Harry knew his wife would probably come down in sweatpants and a t-shirt, expecting to see the kids running around like crazy as Harry got dinner ready. It would've been a surprise for her, and hopefully, a good one.

It took a few minutes for her to come downstairs but when she did, her eyes widened in a magical response. Her mouth opened in an O shape as she took in everything within the apartment. Though it was dim in the apartment, she was able to see that it was cleaned up, with everything put away and rose petals spread across. Soft music played in the background, calm and soothing.

Standing at the bottom of the stairs was her husband. He held up his hand for her to take and she did. Lucy's fingertips interlaced with Harry as he led her into the dining room, which had been cleaned up to perfection. Food was laid out, and he smiled at her as they stood.

"Happy birthday." Harry gave Lucy a kiss on the cheek before pulling out a chair for her. She sat down and Harry pushed her in. He sat beside her.

Slowly, Lucy's eyes wandered throughout the room. "Where are the kids?"

"At Buckingham Palace," he said, taking a sip of his wine. "Wine?" The bottle was old but ageless, meant to be breathtaking when drank.

"No." Lucy sighed slightly. "When did that happen?"

"While you were in the shower. They'll be gone for the night so it'll be just us tonight." His eyes turned to her mysteriously, and he hoped she understood the meaning. However, Lucy looked away.

"Who put all of this up?"

"Maids and butlers." Harry cleared his throat. "I know, Lucy, this isn't exactly how you like romance, or any romance really, but I thought tonight to add some back into the relationship. It is, after all, your birthday, and we can do whatever you like."

"I would like to sleep."

"We could do that," Harry agreed, though it wasn't what he had in mind. Taking another sip of his wine, Harry moved on, "Food?" He immediately put steak onto her plate without her asking.

"This could catch fire," Lucy said.

"Perhaps let's not think about that."

"But the building is incredibly old and could go up in the flames."

"Lucy, please," Harry snapped.

He regretted it immediately, even before he was able to finish his thought, even before the words finishing coming out of his mouth. He knew he was wrong, because Lucy had the right to worry. He just didn't want her to worry. He didn't want to think about it either. Harry wanted this to be perfect. He wanted to make up for everything that was lost between them. He felt too far away from her, unable to get her back, and she pulled away every day.

"Please, Lucy," Harry said softly.

The damage was already done. Her eyes were furious. Her body was tensed. She was on the edge of anger and sadness, perhaps some madness in between. Lucy stood slowly and Harry watched her stand.

"Please sit down, Lucy."

"Bring them back, Harry."

"Lucy, please."

"Bring them back, Harry."

"Lucy--"

"Now, Harry!" Her voice rocketed off the ceilings and walls. "I don't know why you sent them there anywhere. You know that Emma hates sleeping at Buckingham Palace. She hates it there because she thinks there are ghosts, and if she's scared, Beatrice is scared. And if they're scared, Louise tries to take care of them, which pisses Freddie off because he wants to feel like a man! And if Freddie is pissed out, Henry will get angry!"

Harry said nothing.

Lucy scoffed but continued, "You didn't even remember my birthday this morning."

Standing now, Harry was ready to defend himself.

Shaking her head, Lucy knew the truth. "You didn't know it was my birthday this morning. It slipped your mind, I supposed. You have more important things going on." She let it hang in the air. "And then you remembered so you made some calls to make it special. This isn't special for me, Harry. You know that-- you admitted that. You did this for yourself because you apparently aren't getting fucked enough."

Harry's anger grew. "Really, Lucy, really?"

"Yes, Harry, yes. I know."

"Are you accusing something of me, Lucy?" he asked. "If you are, just say so."

She laughed. "No, I would never accuse you of anything, Harry, because you're perfect, aren't you?"

"You're right, Lucy. I forgot your birthday this morning," he admitted in anger. His words were like venom, dangerous and heated. "I forgot your birthday because I do have more important things going on. We have five kids and I've been focused on them."

Lucy scoffed again.

Harry wouldn't let it get him so he went on, "I did this for you. I tried to make it up to you, but you can't take a fucking nice night, can you? I did this for you, and I would do it again. I would. I promise." His eyes didn't waver from his wife's face. "Choose a night. Let me do this again. Let me prove this to you."

"So you can just try to get into my pants again?" Lucy shook her head. "I don't think so. You can go somewhere else."

"I don't want to go anywhere else. I want you."

"That's not what I want, Harry."

"What do you want?"

He hated to think about it. He hated when he thought about it. But the thoughts passed through his head time after time. He always believed it was what Lucy wanted. She wanted to be free. That was what she ever wanted, and for so long, he held her here. She was stuck here, with this stupid life and stupid people.

"What do you want, Lucy?" Harry asked.

Lucy said nothing.

"What, Lucy? What? What do you want?"

He just wanted his wife to answer him. He wanted her to say the words aloud. He wanted the truth.

"Lucy, do you want a divorce?"