Epilogue

In the last few days, family  members had gathered again and again, awaiting the final moments. It was grandchildren just the day prior who gathered in the room at Kensington Palace. Though every day they came, yesterday they came inside. Since they were born, they usually came to grandma's and grandpa's Kensington Palace after school, while their parents were off working. The once owned Kensington Palace apartment was much smaller than what the couple had when they were younger, but it was well received. The new generations of the monarchy had taken over.

There had been hope that Scotland would've been the place of last breaths, but breaths still came even while staying. Eyes watched the green hills and vast rolling waves of grass. And when fresh air was breathed in again and again, the elderly couple returned to London, the home of palaces. The London air, polluted and smelly, actually made the couple feel more comfortable than they had ever been.

Grandchildren waited outside, lined up in chairs, as the younger ones played and the older ones whispered to themselves. There were too many to count and naming was even worst. However, grandchildren only came from three out of the five. Louise died at the age of 24 in a car accident. And Henry had married his partner but never got around to children. He was solely focused on making the world a better place for the LBGTQ+ community.

The children came inside the room, waiting beside the bed. Only four now, and it never seemed right with lack of Louise. But times changed. The world moved, and you had to move along with it. Henry had to rush back from Africa, but he was thankful to get here in time, to say his final good bye. No one wanted this day to come, but it had been coming for a while.

Cancer always stole the greatest.

Harry waited by her side, hadn't left for a single moment. Lucy laid at 78 years old with her 91-year-old husband sitting beside her, like he had been for the past almost 55 years of married, even longer since they met. It was odd to think they met 60 years ago, just when Lucy was eighteen years old. When he married her, he swore to stay by her side, and sometimes life grew difficult. You never knew what was coming, but he did it. Harry stayed at her side. Lucy always supported him, through heaven and hell, and through the many changes the monarchy went through. Life wasn't perfect, and neither were Harry and Lucy.

His finger trailed over Lucy's frail hand. He hated to see her this way. Lucy's green eyes shined out from behind her eyelashes. She managed to hold a steady gaze in her unsteady breaths. Her chest was slow to rise and quick to fall. Lucy held his thumb as tightly as she could, like she did for life. Staying alive all day, to stay alive another day, Lucy waited for the sun to fall, for the moon to shine, and for the sun to rise again. However, even she suspected she didn't have that much time left, not with the way Harry was looking at her. He was never good at hiding his emotions.

Leaning forward, Harry rested his head close to her. "You're beautiful."

Lucy tried to move her mouth but her words were just groans.

"Are you saying I'm hot?" he asked.

Lucy nodded the best she could.

Harry laughed and then coughed. The cold weather moving in hadn't been playing well with his old age. "Are you saying you would still have sex with me?"

Lucy managed to blush.

He gave a cheeky grin. "That's my woman." Harry clutched her hand tightly. "You're going to kick ass one more time, right? You're going to put me in my place?"

She swallowed and then heaved.

Immediately Harry was there to help her as her breathing became weaker and weaker. Today was the last day. It was the last day of Lucy and Harry. It was the last day of Lucy. News would've picked it up, which still followed the couple constantly, even into old age. Lucy breathed as best as she could. Her eyes grew a little dazed, and she searched for his face.

Lucy pointed to a picture beside the bed, and Harry grabbed it slowly. Many pictures rested on her side, of her children when they were young or Harry and Lucy on their wedding day. Those were only a few. The particular one Lucy pointed at Harry held in front of her face. It was the day Harry and Lucy met in Africa, when the mayor had a photo op with Harry and Lucy.

Two pictures had been taken: one with the mayor and one without the mayor. The latter picture was candid, just a testing of the light, and it was the first time they formally met. Lucy had a judgmental smirk on her face, while Harry looked flabbergasted. Lucy's touched the glass of the frame and rounded his young face.

With the best of her ability and all of her might, Lucy spoke as clearly as she could, "Weasley."

A tear pushed its way out of his crystal blue eyes. "I love you, Luce." Harry kissed her hand. "Always," he promised, "I love you."

Lucy groaned to what sounded like I love you, but her mouth didn't move much anymore. Lucy's eyes didn't focus as much, and her chest barely moved. Her mouth hung open slightly and her eyes were barely parted. Her strong green eyes started to fade, the light almost gone.

It was said that hearing was the last thing to go, and Harry made sure that Lucy knew. "I love you," he repeated again and again. "I love you, Luce. You're beautiful, and you're wonderful. I'm happy that my life was spent with you. You're beautiful. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you."

"Dad," Freddie put his hand on Harry's shoulder, "I'm sorry. She's gone."

The rest of the children crowded around the room, not to look at their mum, but to watch their father. Harry wasn't stoic, but he knew this day was coming. Tears had been cried long ago. Only a single tear was shed, and that was all that needed to be shed.

"Someone should tell the grandchildren," he said.

Henry nodded and slipped from the room.

Harry's two living daughters came closer and hugged their father. Both shed tears. Freddie teared up. Their mother had just died, so it was to be expected. Henry was the only one that was somewhat okay with this, since he accepted it. His new life brought in a lot more openness, and he wanted to celebrate her life rather than be saddened by it. Henry came back into the room, and Harry's children enclosed around him.

His blue eyes stayed on his wife, who was completely still. "Thank you, Luce." Harry continued to hold Lucy's hand, refusing to let go.

(1/3)