Chapter Thirty-Seven

Bright lights staying on, Lucy had been forced to sit down and someone pulled out their mobile to record. Lucy bit her tongue, since she didn't want to help her abductors, but they were morons like this. Mobiles were easily tracked, from where you uploaded the videos went and where it was recorded. Mobiles could always be traced. Lucy hoped it wouldn't get that far, though, because that took too much time. Lucy wasn't sure how much she truly had left.

If she did this for them, Mister Fawkes promised to let her go. Mister Fawkes promised she and her children would be safe. Harry would've been given over to them. Lucy wouldn't have allowed that to happen. As well as, Lucy couldn't take Mister Fawkes' words to heart. He wasn't a man to be trusted, especially after he abducted her. Mister Fawkes would've said anything to get Lucy to comply.

It sunk into her that he wouldn't allow her to survive. Lucy knew it the whole time; she wasn't getting out alive. She knew this as soon as Mister Fawkes showed his face. It was the last face she'd ever see.

"What are you thinking about, Miss Smith?" Mister Fawkes asked.

"My pounding headache," Lucy complained. Her green eyes came up to him. "Also, you call me Miss Smith, so you've already made me a widow in your mind."

Mister Fawkes smiled. "You're clever." Walking in front of her, he bent down so that were at equal eye level. "You do this for us, and you can go home. You can see your children again."

"You'll let me walk out?"

"Of course." Mister Fawkes stood. "The first card will be easy, like the rest of them. Just read them off."

"Will they all be the same?"

"No." Mister Fawkes grinned mysterious. "Cards," he ordered, and the first one popped up.

The handwriting was neat and clean on the chalk board. More chalk boards were piled behind the group of three now. One held the camera while the other changed between boards. Mister Fawkes watched the whole time with a smile. His lips weren't parted and his eyes were slanted back; he even went so far to grow out his facial hair like the actual Guy Fawkes. The gun was at his side now, not in his hand. He trusted her a little more now; she needed to keep that trust.

Lucy's eyes focused on the card, which hovered right over the mobile, but she couldn't see the words clearly. Her body swayed. She was too hot. Her mouth was too dry. Words didn't fully reach her ears. High pitched buzzing swirled around her head like gnats. Mister Fawkes grew fuzzy.

Slowly the words came out in the mumble, "The crimes committed by the British Monarchy must not go in vain. They should... they should... be... punished?" Lucy swallowed. "Their crimes vary--"

"Stop." Mister Fawkes stepped in front of Lucy's view, just his legs, as he towered over her. "Are you ill, Miss Smith?"

Lucy pulled her head up to look at him. "Never, Mister Fawkes."

In the bright lights, Lucy couldn't see his expression, but he clucked his tongue. He disapproved. Mister Fawkes walked over to the card holders and then chose some, handing them off. "Again."

A new chalk covered board was dropped in front of her, and she stared forward. The words came a little easier this time. Lucy read them off in curiosity, "The death of Diana, Princess of Wales was caused by the British Monarchy. They specifically killed her." As the words came, Lucy couldn't believe them. "The Monarchy ordered for her to be killed because she--" Lucy stopped, no longer able to carry on. "Do you believe this, Mister Fawkes?" Her eyes came up to him.

He stepped forward. "I may or I may not."

"Propaganda?" she asked. "Is that what this is? You tell lies and spill secrets, like this, because you just want to watch the world burn."

"Revolution, Miss Smith." Mister Fawkes kept out of the mobile's view but continued to speak, "Think of your children. Do this for your children."

Lucy's eyes burned from the lights. "You have children, Mister Fawkes."

"How do you know?"

"A guess but with confidence. You know what you'll do for your children, and I know what I'll do for mine."

"What will you do for your children, Miss Smith?"

Smiling at him, she turned back to the chalk boards. "The Monarchy ordered for her to be kill because she talked ill against them." Lucy gulped. It didn't stop the world from spinning. The pounding in her head became stronger and stronger, never ceasing, and now she felt the drumming in her bones. Blinking, she focused on the boards again. "Diana was killed by the Monarchy because she..." Lucy trailed off. "That's stupid and wrong."

"Miss Smith, read the cards."

"But you're wrong."

"Read the damn cards."

Lucy shook her head. "You're wrong, and I won't continue until they're right," she gambled.

Mister Fawkes watched her carefully, and he took the bait like a fish. "How can they be right?" A lightness sparked in his eyes. "You know the truth, don't you, Miss Smith? You know what happened." His face followed his eyes, and a grin grew. He was a teenage girl taking a rumor and spreading it. Mister Fawkes was going to enjoy it. "By all means, Miss Smith, share the secret with us. Share the truth with the world."

Moving onto her knees, Lucy sat on her legs, cutting off blood flow. Next, she sat on her hands. Already she felt the pounding getting worse no more than three seconds later. Lucy only needed maybe a minute more. The buzzing grew louder. The bright lights cut in and out, dimming and brightening.

"You want to know the truth? Well, you should've just asked. I know a lot of things." Lucy looked back at the mobile that recorded her. "Diana, Princess of Wales, died because she didn't wear her safety belt when her car drove too past as her driver had been drinking with paparazzi in pursuit behind her. It was the perfect storm."

Mister Fawkes paused. "But why did she die?"

Lucy swallowed. Only ten more seconds until lift off. "She died because she died. None of us get to choose when we die. She died because she died. No one did it to her. It was an accident by people's errors." Running out of breath, Lucy counted down in her head, five... four... three... two... one. Lucy blacked out.