Chapter Eleven

Staring at himself in the mirror for a full two minutes, there was nothing else Harry could do. He wiped off his face again and went downstairs. Tony had gone to the hospital, which left him with his bodyguards, Simon and Robert. The clothes Harry placed upon his body were nicer but not a tux. A suit seemed to be the right word but not for the right context. Harry had look nice; he had to do his duty.

The car awaited him and he slid into the back. Robert and Simon immediately went. As the car pulled out of the gates, already paparazzi had pulled up. Members of the public watched on. The scrutiny began. There would be too many questions and never enough answers. This didn't happen much, only to Lucy really.

London flew past the windows in a blur, as Harry felt as he flew too. His mind buzzed. No features were taken in of the place he always called home. All faces were just colored dots on the gray background. Greens in bloom slowly melted away into the concrete. He tried to concentrate on anything. Nothing made sense.

"Your highness," said a bodyguard, "we're here."

Somehow Harry hadn't realized.

All around him the world still shifted. The car still rolled on. His eyes looked at the tall, white building in front of him, as it grew outward. The world moved around him, even as Harry became frozen. What was he going to find in there? What was he about to see? What was he about to hear? All of it terrified him.

The door opened and Harry stepped into the grey clouds. Suddenly his feet took him away. He couldn't get there fast enough. He couldn't run fast enough. His lungs didn't work properly. Harry felt like an old man. His eyes slowly adjusted to the light inside the hospital. His lips tried to form the name-- her name, but he couldn't breathe. Swinging his head around, he looked from side to side.

"Your highness, this way." A bodyguard pulled on his arm, like he was a child.

After being pulled into a waiting room, away from any eyes to watch and away from any mouths to whisper things to paparazzi later, the blinds closed. Harry was locked inside. No news came immediately, as Tony was still gone. Harry repeated to himself that Tony was with her; Tony would keep her safe. Harry knew this to be true, but he still wished to be there instead.

He sat down on the couch. The bodyguards watched him intently, waiting for a shattering Duke. It didn't come. Resting his face in his hands, Harry waited for eternity. Seconds passed by feeling like hours, and minutes passed by like days. He curled into himself and waited. Silence was only broken for a few seconds when Robert's mobile rang, and he took it outside. Harry didn't even ask when he knew what it concerned.

His children wondered about their mum and dad. The children didn't even think that something might have happened. William wondered his brother. Harry was sure he had to say something at some point to someone, but he preferred it to be Lucy. He only wanted to talk to Lucy.

Simon waited with him. He watched his charge carefully. Harry didn't need a babysitter.

Robert returned back inside and whispered something to Simon. Harry didn't ask. No questions came for him. The bodyguards continued with the quiet conversing before Simon took leave this time. Robert watched the Duke. Harry kept his head buried in his hands.

The door burst open again, but Harry didn't look up, expecting it to be Simon already back. This time it wasn't the correct bodyguard. Tony stood in front of the Duke, and the door closed behind him. Slowly Harry raised his head but didn't move; he continued to sit slouched over on the couch. His head rested on his hands.

"And?" he asked.

Tony kept polite distance. "They took Her Royal Highness for some scans, your highness."

"What kind of scans?"

"Head scans, sir."

"No surgery?"

"Unsure yet, sir."

"Anymore information?"

"Not yet, sir."

"I will keep you updated."

Harry waved his hand. "I'll go."

"Sir, I don't think that would be--"

Standing up quickly, the coffee table shook slightly, and Harry did it. "Did I ask for your opinion?" His loud voice filled the room and exploded into the hallway.

Tony kept his composure. "Sir, they won't allow you to see her."

"Why?"

"She is having scans done to her."

"Then why do you get to see her?"

"I didn't, sir. I asked her doctor in passing."

"And they just gave out her information so willingly!" Anger boiled in him again, spilling out like hot lava.

"No, sir. I gave proper identification and they already knew who I was. I am one of her emergency contacts."

"When did that happen?" Harry tried to calm himself.

"When I became her bodyguard, sir."

Pulling back into himself, Harry nodded gently. "Anything else?"

Tony glanced behind himself at Robert, who shook his head.

"What?" Harry demanded to the bodyguards.

"Buckingham called and they would like to see you immediately."

"Do they know what's going on?"

"Yes, sir, they do."

"Who ordered this?"

"The King, sir."

Harry stopped in his tracks. William called him to Buckingham Palace now? He wanted his younger brother now? Harry knew why. It was because of clean up. But if they wanted to keep up good appearances, then Harry needed to stay with his wife. But what about his children? Lucy was only liked by so much of the public, but children were hard to get angry at, especially when there was five of them. Also, if there was clean up needing to be done, then that meant there was damage somewhere.

"I'll go," Harry agreed.

Tony paused in front of him. "Are you sure, sir?"

No, he wasn't, but he had to go. "Stay close to Lucy at all times," Harry ordered, "and if there's any change anywhere at any time, you call immediately. I want to know then. And I will come." He walked over to the door slowly. "And, Tony, if she wakes up, tell her that I love her."

"Yes, sir."

Harry gripped the door handle. "Do your duty. Don't let her die." He left the room and Simon followed behind him.

********************

Hey, guys. I'm just writing to say that I may not be able to update until next weekend (worst case scenario). My time here in Scotland is coming to an end after two months (or so). I have a lot going on as I get ready to go home. I go back to the U.S. on Friday and I have major finals this week (presentations and papers due, which I maybe haven't done or even started yet). Plus there is also the rush to get everything in that I haven't done yet. And then I've got to somehow get everything into my suitcase, which is so not happening. But I will also be distracted by the largest and most important thing on this list (Fuck homework!), the new "Harry Potter" book/ play came out! I'm half way through and I'm in love, as well as there are too many feelings. I hope you enjoy yourself there.

Good luck and thank you!