Chapter Twenty-One

Head pounding, Lucy entered her Kensington Palace apartment. The drive back from the hospital hadn't helped her head at all. There were too many bumps on the road. The car slowed down and sped up too much. The outside was too bright, even under the constant clouds. Closing in her eyes in the car, Lucy tried to ignore the vomit that spurred in her. It didn't help. Nothing helped. Coming to the house, she was happy that it was quiet.

Harry helped her into the living room, just inside the doors of their apartment, before going into the kitchen. He tried to keep quiet.

At the hospital, the doctor had repeated herself by saying that Lucy should've stayed longer. She needed more time to heal. The pain medication would've worn off soon and she couldn't have any at her home. Lucy didn't want any at her home. Lucy told herself that she was strong enough that she need pain medication.

Now, she regretted these choices. Lucy wished she had stayed in the hospital just a little bit longer. Perhaps she could've stayed there until at least nighttime, or just before the kids came home from school. She wanted just a little bit more of that pain medication. Lucy shook her head; she could've done this. The pain wasn't that bad, she told herself.

Harry came back into the room and handed Lucy a glass of water. The doctor had said tea, but Lucy hated tea so that wasn't happening. He hovered. Lucy stared up at him. Both of them needed to say something. He hovered. Lucy hated when he hovered. Harry knew that.

"Hungry?" he asked. "Tired? Or I can get something else to drink? Are you comfortable?"

Squirming slightly on the couch, Lucy tried to get comfortable. She was too hot and then too cold. Something stuck in her back. She fell into the sofa because it was too soft. The world continued to sway around her. Her heartbeat was too quick. The world grew too cold and then too hot. "I can't stomach anything right now. Yes, I'm tired. Water is fine. And I could be more comfortable," she said.

"What can I get for you?"

Lucy patted the seat next to her. "I wouldn't mind."

Harry obliged and sat next to her. Both of them took up the couch, with their bodies touching. After sitting down, Harry shifted to put his feet up and lean back slightly. He got comfortable. His arm circled around Lucy's shoulders and she put her cheek to his chest. She heard his heart beat. She felt his warmth. It was nice for him to be under her again. It was nice to feel the bodies touch fully. It felt like home to Lucy.

"Are you comfortable?" Harry asked.

"Very much so. You?" Lucy breathed deeply, settling her head against his chest. His heartbeat was calm to her.

Harry laughed, "Yes." Even at a time like this, Lucy still managed to amaze him with her... was it kindness or was she deflecting?

Lucy's response was her fingers holding onto his shirt, curling it within her fingertips. Her hair made a nest on his shirt, rubbing up and down until she was comfortable enough. Nothing numbed the pain. Nothing helped. She blinked back the tears that threatened to come out, from tiredness and pain. Lucy tried to focus on the world around her. It didn't help. Lucy's hand laid flat against his chest.

"Does your head hurt?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Lucy admitted, which surprised Harry, "and I'll give myself until the kiddos get home and then everything will be better. My head won't hurt anymore."

"I don't think that's how it works." Harry tried to keep his voice light but it was heavy with tiredness too.

Lucy shrugged. "Tomorrow, let's take the kids somewhere fun."

"Like an amusement park?" Harry was yet surprised again.

"Or just a normal park. Somewhere they can be outside and be kids for a change. They should have some fun." She poked at his chest. "If we do go to an amusement park, you can go on the rides with them."

"I might be too old, Luce."

"Never, Ginger." Her fingers curled into his shirt again, holding on as the world spun around her. Dizziness made her want to vomit again. She had nothing left in her stomach to throw up. "You have an event tonight."

"I couldn't get out of it, no matter how I tried." Harry's arms pulled Lucy tighter. "I did try, really, but Wills making me go. We have to keep up appearances, he says." He didn't want to go. He wanted to be with his wife and his children. Harry didn't know how much time there was left. He wanted to be with her, but he was pushed out. William told him to go.

"I'll go with you."

Harry's breath caught in his throat. "What?"

Lucy looked up at her husband. "I'll go with you," she repeated. "If the King wants us to keep up appearances, you'll go and I'll go with you. There's no better way to show people that I'm totally okay than do some fancy-smacy event. As well as, it's been a while since we did an event together, especially a posh one. People have noticed." Lucy smiled. "How about that for keeping up appearances?"

"Are you sure? Will you be strong enough?"

"I laugh at weakness. Ha- ha- ha." Lucy did it on purpose but Harry couldn't give in. Her fingers slid across his face, over his lips, hovering there for a second. Their eyes were locked. "Harry, understand me please, I've got shit to do. I can only have until kids get home to heal and to wither in pain. I'm not Lucy when they get home; I'm their mum. Out there, I'm not Lucy and I'm not Mum, I'm Duchess Lucille of Windsor. I've got shit to do. I have people to help. That won't stop."

"I hope it never does." Harry kissed her fingertips. "Pray tell, Lucy, how will you recover by the time the kids get home?"

She laughed naturally. "How I do most things until it fucks me over: suck it up."