Chapter Thirty-Nine

Heading pounding, Lucy's body was more than weak. It didn't help that she did this to herself. Through the pain had been there as well as the need for rest from the stress, she had also cut off circulation. But it gave Lucy time. She had time to think and to plan. Or at least that was her hope.

The hope died when a grunt came from somewhere in the room. Lucy wasn't alone.

Bright lights continued to blanket her in shine and heat. The vomit had now crusted to her skin. Drums beat in her head, kicking her body over and over again. Her heart thundered. Yet, she heard the grunt. Lucy wished to close her eyes again, but it was too late. The other person knew she was awake.

It took a minute or two for her eyes to focus on the man across the room from her. Though, Lucy knew it was Mister Fawkes. His facial hair and daft grinning expression gave it away. Pushing her blonde hair from her face, Lucy put her back to the wall. She couldn't sit up straight yet and her voice had grown weak.

"Now, Miss Smith, are you sure you're not ill?" Mister Fawkes asked.

Saying nothing, Lucy shifted and put on her most dangerous look. If it hadn't been for her current pain, she could've scared away anyone.

Mister Fawkes crossed the room and towered over her. The daft grin grew. "I thought we were just beginning to be friends."

"We could've been friends if you didn't threaten my children." Lucy's voice was low and drawn out. Her words weren't strong enough yet.

"I thought, Miss Smith, we had an understanding."

"My apologies for passing out and ruining your video."

"It turns out, we didn't need you to recite those things anyway." Mister Fawkes glanced away. Eyes staying on the door, he managed to talk to her. "I've excited, very excited indeed. I haven't been this happy or joyous in years. Well, that isn't true, Miss Smith; I was happy when we kidnapped you."

"Abducted, moron," Lucy corrected.

Mister Fawkes continued, "I've been waiting for you to wake so that I may present wonderful news to you. It is most exciting. Finally, things are coming into place. The world is evolving. We are part of a revolution. You, Miss Smith," he turned back to her, "are part of a revolution now."

Lucy's eyes narrowed on him.

"Your words weren't needed, but the world knows. The world sees the truth."

"What the fuck are you on about?" Lucy's head continued to pound, harder than ever before. It felt like it was going to explode. Reaching up, Lucy touched her head, and then her hand fell to her nose. There had been pain there, but she hadn't noticed it until now. Placing her fingers gently on the body part, she felt how it was broken. Blood had crusted on her lips. This injury didn't come from when she fell unconscious. "What did you do to me?"

"I proved something, that's all, Miss Smith." He turned back to the door. He waited. "You may find your ribs even more injured. After the events of last night and while you were unconscious, you may want to have those checked out by a doctor."

Gently, Lucy touched the side of her body. Her ribs and skin were sore, but she thought it was just from last night's events. Perhaps Mister Fawkes had anger after she blacked out. "But a minute ago, you were going on about something?" Lucy asked, suppressing a groan from pain.

For a second, Mister Fawkes grin had been gone, when he pointed out Lucy's injuries. After being reminded of his happiness, Mister Fakes' smile returned. "Yes, yes, yes, that." He snickered. "The world knows, Miss Smith."

Waiting, Lucy grew still. "What exactly does the world know?" She hadn't said much, right? Or at least she hadn't said anything that could've been used against the monarchy.

"Two things, and I think both of them will get your attention." Mister Fawkes paused for dramatic effect, which somehow made Lucy hate him more. "First, the world knows that you have been kidnapped."

"Abducted," Lucy corrected.

Mister Fawkes turned his full attention to her. "The world knows."

Her eyes narrowed on him. "And you're happy for this? The world knows that abduction is wrong. You think they're going to cheer your name in joy?" Lucy asked it slowly so he might understand.

Mister Fawkes wasn't impressed, but Lucy didn't sour his mood. "I realize that, Miss Smith."

"Yet I'm with you? And I didn't choose to be here."

"Miss Smith," Mister Fawkes began, "you miss the obvious from the world knowing you've been abducted. The world knows that you're gone. I realize that gains sympathy for the monarchy, but what you must realize is that causes fear. There will be panic. No one is safe, because we got to you. We got to one of the senior members of the royal family of England."

"Third, are you calling me old? Second, a lot of things happen to me, so why do you think this is any different? First, it gains sympathy to the monarchy; it does not cause panic in the streets."

Mister Fawkes shook his head. "Miss Smith, you have been out of the public for a while. You don't understand what common people think."

"You just told me I wasn't like the royal family a few hours ago. What's changed?" Lucy asked. "Did you tell the media?"

"No." Mister Fawkes looked disappointed for a second. "I wished that our video would've continued, and then it would've been published. The world would've seen then. If you have not realized, Miss Smith, I have a flare for the dramatics."

"I had no idea." Lucy rolled her eyes.

"And because of this, I didn't tell the media. I wanted it perfectly timed out, but don't worry, Miss Smith, everything will work out properly. I brightly shined upon. My plan comes together after all."

This time Lucy had no words. She stared at the stupid man.

"This brings me to my second wonderful news, and I do mean wonderful." He giggled. "I was never after you, but we did kidnap you; I'll admit that. But it was for the greater good. See, I had something in mind. I would go for you, because you would get us to the point. And I hoped you might get us farther. Well, Miss Smith, you're getting us farther."

"Are you on drugs?"

"Miss Smith, your husband has answered the call for duty, and we'll be making a trade."

Staring at him, Lucy couldn't actually believe what she was hearing. Harry wouldn't actually do this, would he? He wouldn't actually be a moron. He wouldn't leave the children. He wouldn't give up his life for her. He had so much time left! Lucy might have been dying, and he chose her this time and not be with the children! Lucy hadn't hit anger yet, but she was confused and disappointed. He wouldn't actually do this!

"No," Lucy disagreed.

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes, Miss Smith, yes."

"No."

"You're in denial."

"You're an eejit."

"That's rude," Mister Fawkes gasped.

"Fuck you! You've abducted me!" Lucy screamed. "He wouldn't do this. He's not a moron." I think. "No, he wouldn't do this, because he's with our children, and he's going to stay there. And it's just going to be you and me. Together until we die."

"Some will die," Mister Fawkes agreed, "but we leave soon enough, Miss Smith. Look presentable." He walked out the door, leaving Lucy with her thoughts.

Harry wouldn't do this, right? Lucy asked herself. He isn't a moron. He wouldn't do this.

Lucy already knew how this was going to end. These people were going to kill her; they weren't going to hand her over. No matter the promises they made, all would've been broken. They were going to kill her; they were going to kill Harry; they were going to go after their children; they were going to go after the monarchy.

Lucy wouldn't allow this to happen.