Chapter Twenty-Six

Most of the kids were tucked into bed, and they didn't go down easily. The girls wanted to stay up for their mum, who usually read them bedtime stories. Harry tried to read them stories but they said he wasn't the same. Beatrice didn't fight it too much. Emma wanted the story done properly. Louise argued and argued.

The boys didn't go down easily either, which was off. Both were rather worked up. Henry was angry at Louise for causing such a fuss, thus he caused a fuss. Freddie was off about something else. Harry could've only dealt with one at once so Henry was dealt with by just being sent to his room. It was a guess if he was actually asleep.

As for Freddie, he didn't fight it but he was hesitant. Freddie stared out the front windows of the Kensington Palace apartment. He watched for his mum to come home. Lucy wasn't expected for at least another couple hours. Harry was staying up, and he was ready to let Freddie stay up too. But Freddie had school tomorrow. Plus, the two stayed up for vastly different reasons. Harry waited beside his son.

"Are you nervous for school tomorrow?" Harry asked Freddie innocently.

"No."

"Do you want to talk about something?"

"I want to talk to Mum." Freddie's voice cracked, and he pretended like it didn't happen.

"We'll ring her." Harry pulled out his mobile and dialed Lucy's number. "Her event should be over by now and she'll be home soon enough." Harry's blue eyes came up to his eldest son, whom had the same haunting blue eyes. "What is it, Freddie?"

"I'm scared, Dad."

"What about?"

"Mum."

"She's okay," Harry promised.

"Always," Freddie responded bitterly, "but what if she's not okay this time? She has a thing in her head, and what it bursts or something? What if she dies? She can't die!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Harry held up his hands in peace. "She is fine. If she wasn't, we'd get a call. We'd go to her."

"You wouldn't leave us here?"

Harry remembered being left when his mum died. He was left alone, and all he wanted with his dad. But his dad went to get his mum. Harry wouldn't do that to his own sons. "You would come with me, all of you. I won't leave you, I promise."

Tears burned Freddie's eyes. "What if... what if... it isn't her head? What if it's the anti-monarchists?"

"How do you know about those?" Panic gripped Harry. He tried to keep those things away from his children.

"The other kids talk about it at school. I know all about it. They threw tomatoes at Mum, and they've sent bad messages. They threaten to hurt us all."

"They're not going to hurt you."

"Why not?"

"You're innocent in all of this. You're a kid-- your siblings are kids. They're not going to hurt kids."

"Mum isn't a kid. What about her?"

"Tony is with her. He'll keep her safe."

"Well, what if--"

"Frederick!" Harry called. The eldest son shut his mouth. "Your mum is okay. I promise. Let's ring her." Holding up his mobile for Freddie to see, it started to ring. And it continued to ring, and ring, and ring, and ring. Then it didn't ring anymore. Lucy's voice hung in the air. "Do you want to leave a message?" Harry asked his son.

Freddie shook his head no.

Harry ended the call. "She's probably still at the event. Maybe she's sleeping."

"Can you call Tony?" Freddie asked.

Harry's eyes softened. "You know I can't, Freddie. I can only call him in emergency, because he has to be focused on your mum and what's going on there." Stepping in front of his son, Harry waited patiently. "Do you want to stay up and wait for her?"

"No." Freddie shook his head. "I have maths test tomorrow."

Pulling his son into a hug, Harry kissed the top of Freddie's head. "You go to bed, and when your mum comes home, I'll have her come in and visit you, okay? Then you can sleep peacefully at least for a little bit."

Freddie nodded.

"Pop off."

Running up the stairs, Freddie disappeared. Harry's eyes went outside, repeating what Freddie just did. It was just nerves, Harry told himself, that Freddie felt because of his maths test. She was always the one to help him with maths. He probably didn't feel confident about the exam. Shaking his head, Harry went upstairs too. He would've waited up for Lucy but in bed.

Stopping off at every room, all children slept except for Freddie. Harry expected for Freddie to at least be in bed, instead the child was on his knees with his elbows resting on his bed. Harry waited outside the bedroom door, hearing Freddie's words. Freddie prayed. It was clunky and informal, but he prayed. Neither parent was religious, so none of the kids were. Freddie continued to pray, and it was for his mum. Finishing, Freddie climbed into bed and shut the light off.

After a few more seconds, Harry went into his bedroom and closed the door. He changed and laid down in bed. The room was too quiet. Rolling over, Harry looked at Lucy's spot. It was too empty. He wanted her here now. He couldn't fall asleep without her here. Trying to close his eyes, Harry hoped tiredness would take him. It didn't.

Sighing, Harry stared up at the white ceiling. His heart pounded. Something gnawed at his stomach. Harry didn't feel this way until Freddie said something, and now that something was said, Harry couldn't ignore it. Turning all of the lights off, Harry closed his eyes again. It was too quiet. A fan wouldn't have worked. He wanted another person sleeping next to him-- he needed Lucy next to him.

Opening his eyes, Harry got out of bed and paced around his room two minutes. Perhaps he just needed to get rid of some energy. Harry looked back at the bed. Tiredness didn't claim him. He left the room. Harry peeked into Freddie's room again, and the child's back was turned to him. Looking in on Henry, he slept peacefully. Checking in on Louise, Disney princess music continued to play. With Beatrice, she slept in silence. Emma listened to cello music. Harry went downstairs.

He hated to do it. Harry went into the front room and watched out the window. His eyes looked into the dark of the night with only a few lights on in the Kensington Palace apartment. There wasn't a glare on the windows. Harry looked outside again, telling himself that everything was okay, always.