Chapter Twenty-Five

At noon, Lucy left Harry with the kids as they did their homework. While the boys had actual homework to do, the girls worked on sheets for extra practice. They didn't enjoy it but did it. She kissed all of her children good bye, and Harry caught her hand outside their apartment.

"You're beautiful." His cheeks turned pink as he realized Tony watched them. Lucy's eyes swept around to Tony, who then turned his back to them, giving some privacy. Harry didn't know why he was suddenly so nervous, but he knew it had something to do with the woman who stood in front of him.

"I love you, Harry." The words spilled out. "I love you."

"I love you." Harry didn't need to push the words because they were were true. "When will you be home tonight?"

"After it's dark," she admitted, "but I'll try to hurry back as much as possible." Lucy stepped toward him and kissed him.

Harry smiled. "Take your time. I can wait."

"I hope." Lucy kissed him again and then hopped down the steps. "Have fun." Tony opened the car door for Lucy but didn't look at them.

"You too." Harry waved.

"Always." Sliding into the car, Lucy's eyes stayed on Harry. The smile wouldn't leave her face. Tony got into the front and the car pulled away from the front. Lucy still looked for Harry as she left the gates. Relaxing back into the seat, it was a long enough drive. Because of last night, Lucy felt too far away from Harry, like she would've been gone for too long.

"Your highness," Tony said as he drove, "I trust everything is well."

"Everything is perfect."

It was quiet within the event as Lucy talked to numerous people. Her mind was on Harry. What was he doing right now? Did he do something with the kids? Lucy refused to glance at the clock. Turning her attention back to the speaker, it was too difficult for her to concentrate. Lucy hadn't felt this way before, even when she began dating Harry. She hadn't felt this giddy ever. Giddiness was like never ending happiness and excitement, where her heart bumped quickly and she couldn't sit still.

Speaking more with the speakers, Lucy toured the facility, asking questions. It was quite the landmark this building. However, if Lucy was asked what the building was about, she didn't know. Everything went in one ear and out the other. She tried and failed.

As the day grew on, music started to play. Not only was the facility used for one thing during the day but at night, it was used as a youth club. People apologized to Lucy for the loud and pumping music, but none of it bothered her.

The music was heard from outside as Tony held the door open for her. Chilliness made the hair on her arms stand, though she knew the car would've warmed up quickly. The door slammed behind them, officially locked out. Lucy smiled at the stars in the sky that she saw. Never were stars seen in the heart of London. There was nothing more beautiful. Lucy vowed to take the kids to the Highlands so they could see the stars clearly.

From looking upward, her mind buzzed. The world twisted and turned around. A sinking feeling hit her stomach, and Lucy almost vomited right there. Dizziness swept around her. A pounding head matched her pounding stomach. Her legs weren't strong enough. She looked down at the ground as she tried to regain her senses.

"Your highness." Tony stood at her side, gripping her arm.

I'm okay, she thought to say but the words didn't come out. The world slowly came back to normal, yet her stomach didn't feel right. Vomit threatened to come up. "Tony...." Her breath caught in her throat. This didn't feel like before when she was dizzy; this felt like long ago when--

A cracking sound filled the air. Though sometimes gunshots sounded like pops or booms, within an alleyway, it was a crack. It bounced off the brick walls and had nowhere to escape but upward. Lucy knew this was a gunshot-- of course she did. Her past was filled with the sound of gunshots. Tony knew the sound of gunshots, having worked at Scotland Yard for many years. And as her bodyguard, he jumped in front of her to protect her.

Too late, she thought, because the gunshot already happened. The bullet was already lodged somewhere. Lucy looked around herself in search for blood. Undoubtedly adrenaline didn't let her feel the pain. Shock killed. Adrenaline pumped through her body. Her mind took in everything at a million miles an hour. Her eyes searched her body, but the bullet didn't hit her body. Tony was hit by the bullet.

He didn't feel the pain yet, but red blood pooled out of him already. Adrenaline didn't have time to help him as his eyes caught the blood and he pushed his hand to the wound. Yet Tony had to do his job. Reaching behind himself, he gripped the gun on his hip. Another crack filled the air, and Tony was hit again. He fell.

Lucy looked down at him before her eyes were pulled to the five men walking in front of her. She wanted to drop beside him; she wanted to help him. But she didn't leave the men in front of her. All of them were different shapes and sizes, but they wore masks.

"Step away from him." The gun rested on her body.

"What the fuck do you want?" she demanded. Her fingers fumbled with the back of her pants. If only she grabbed it....

"Step away."

"No."

The safety was taken off the gun.

"You're not going to shoot me." Lucy knew that to a fact. If they wanted to assassinate her, they would've done it already. "What do you want?"

The one who gave the orders, the one with the gun, rushed her as well. Five bodies rushed toward her. Like hell was Lucy going to go quietly. Screaming loudly, she kicked her legs out and thrust her arms around. Her fingernails caught the skin of at least one. She got another in the knee. She let out another yell. All tried to shush her. It didn't work.

Pain bloomed on her arm as someone hit her there. Pain bloomed on the back of her knee, and she was forced down. They couldn't to go at her. Lucy collapsed onto all fours. Her chest heaved. She tasted blood in her mouth. Lights danced in her eyes. The world tilted around her. Her body was twisted. Her clothing was ripped. Someone took their foot to her ribs. Someone took their knee to her jaw. Lucy let out another desperate scream.

Arms and legs and bodies all intertwined. All became one. It was all dark as light was burned out by their bodies. Lucy's chest hit the pavement. It was cold and wet, different than this morning when it was hot and dry. Feet were just used. No one would've taken time to hit a victim on the ground with their arms. Feet smashed her bones. Lucy glanced through their legs and saw Tony's body. His face looked the other way. A foot came down on her head. All went black.