Chapter Nineteen

Mind wandering, Harry thought of Lucy, especially of her prior day. Tony was enough security usually and the tomatoes weren't actual threats. She had threats before, and this was nothing compared to that. The monarchy didn't have enough spare money for more security, especially on someone so "low." Though Harry tried to plead with William, William didn't budge. The police worked for the monarchy and would've continued to do so. That was the only shining light.

Harry and Lucy were up before the kids even thought of waking up. Nanny was in charge of them, as they were sent off to school once again. Lucy didn't take her time to do hair or makeup, knowing she was going to be tired after anyway.

Upon reaching the hospital, Harry and Lucy ducked inside. Hunger gnawed at Lucy's stomach but she wasn't allowed to eat in the last twelve hours. Hunger didn't gnaw at Harry; nerves got the better of him. He was ready to vomit at any moment. Lucy changed into a hospital gown and laid down on the bed. It was still dark outside but she watched as London slowly lit up.

Holding her hand, Harry said nothing for the longest time. He feared if he opened his mouth vomit would come out. While not sleeping at all last night, Harry's mind was heavy. He didn't just think about what was to come today, but he pondered the outcomes. It was either good or bad. He didn't want to think about the latter, yet he did. Fear got the best of him. Lucy couldn't die-- nothing could happen to Lucy-- because he couldn't do this by himself.

"Harry," said Lucy, "you're more scared than I am."

"I'm... I'm not--"

She shook her head. "Don't lie to me, Weasley."

He smirked at his old nickname.

"What are you scared about? This isn't going to be that bad." Her eyes caught him. "Oh, you're scared about the results." She knew so Harry didn't try to argue. "What is that thing you said to me once? Something like, that's tomorrow problem or worry about it later-- something of don't worry about it now."

"We were younger back those days."

She scoffed. "That's how time works." They continued to hold hands, and Harry was sure she did it just for him. "If you want to be concerned about something, the girls want their ears pierced."

"Do you think we shouldn't?"

"They'll get their ears pierced at some point, but I honestly don't think we'd hear the end of it."

"From them or the media?"

"Both," she admitted. "God knows the media will think we're bad parents for getting their ears pierced, even though that's what they want. And then the girls... I don't know if they can handle the pain. They cry over shots."

"Their birthday is coming up."

"True, and that can be their gift. They have more than enough of everything so no presents are really needed." Her thumb ran over the back of Harry's hand. "Look at us adulting."

"I've been adulting for a while," Harry stated.

"I've only had eighteen years. I think I need at least twenty more before I call myself a proper adult."

"You need those twenty years because I still haven't figured it out," he laughed.

Lucy smiled. Laughter bubbled inside of her but it didn't explode. Her eyes rested on her husband for a little longer, and Harry blushed under her gaze. He didn't want take his eyes off his wife but he glanced away. Heat had grown on his skin, like the redness had. His eyes came up to his wife and he opened his mouth to give a retort-- the doctor strolled in.

"How are we feeling this morning?" she asked her patient.

"Doesn't matter. You're going to put me under."

The doctor nodded and moved on, "I've walked you through the procedure before. Would you like me to walk through it again?"

"No, it's fine. All of it is straightforward."

"Are you ready, your highness?"

Lucy's eyes flashed up to the doctor. "Let's kick some ass."

The doctor and the married couple conversed a little longer before Lucy was wheeled off with the doctor behind her. Harry could've waited two places: the waiting room or in here. He hated to be alone but he didn't wish to draw any attention to himself. So he chose the latter, to stay in Lucy's hospital room and wait for her.

His mind wandered as he had to think about what happened to his wife. The biopsy was barely invasive. Lucy would've had a killer headache for the rest of the day but it wouldn't have been bad. Everything would've been covered up by her hair. There would've been three spots that the doctors would've taken from her head.

Though tired, he couldn't just sit there. Harry began to pace. His mind stayed on his wife, when there wasn't much else to think about. Lucy, before going into surgery, told Harry to sleep while she was gone. It gnawed at him. But he couldn't stop moving. If he stopped moving, then the thoughts only would've gotten worse. He needed to keep moving.

Harry's mobile started to ring and he pulled it out. "Hello."

"Dad? It's Freddie."

"Hey, Freddie. How's it going?"

"Good. How's Mum?"

"She's in theatre now. She'll be out in a bit." His words hung there. "She'll be home by the time you get home from school," Harry promised his son.

"I know."

"How's Henry?"

"He's brushing his teeth now."

"Off to school soon?"

"Yeah."

"You seem nervous, Freddie?"

"I've got a test today in English, and I don't think I'll do well."

"You speak English, don't you?"

"Yeah."

"I think you'll do fine," Harry gave a reassuring tone. "After all, you speak the King's English. There is nothing more proper."

Silence hung in the phone call.

"What is it, Freddie?"

"I'm scared, Dad, for Mum," Freddie explained. His voice was barely above a whisper with a sad note. "I just... just... what if she...."

"Freddie, listen to me. Mum is going to be okay, like she always is."

"What if she's not this time?"

"Don't think like that, son. Have positivity, and always believe in your mum. Promise me?"

"I promise, Dad."

"Don't worry about Mum too much at school today. You'll do great at the test, just be calm when taking it. Tell Henry and the girls I love them-- Mum loves them. Mum loves you. I love you, Freddie."

"I love you too, Dad."

"Have a good day at school."

"Bye."

"Good-bye."