Chapter Forty-Five

15 September 2034

Blue eyes wandered over Lucy's head as she slept next to him. Just on her hairline was another scar, a more recent one that happened a little over a year ago when the tumor was taken out of her head. Her head had been shaved in full, but the chill never got to her. Now, her hair was down to her chin, easily growing quickly. Lucy was back to the old Lucy he knew. And Harry was back to him old self now too.

Harry watched as she breathed up and down, so peaceful and calm. Light shined on her body. Her skin glowed. Some scars marked her skin, a map to all the places she had been, all the things she had accomplished, who she was. Her face was untroubled. Her soft pink lips were even turned up a little. Harry wanted to reach out and touch her, but he feared he would end this perfect dream.

Lucy grunted, "What, Prince Charming?"

"You're beautiful."

Groaning, she rolled over to face him properly. "Happy birthday." Lucy yawned and curled into the blankets.

"What? No old man jokes? I am fifty years old now. Soon I'll need a cane," Harry tried to egg her on. "Soon I'll be getting white hair and wrinkles. Freddie and Henry are twelve and ten; they'll be getting married soon. The girls are seven, what will they be doing? Wearing makeup?"

Lucy only laughed at him. "Should I say that you're old when I'm almost forty?"

"You're thirty-seven, nice try." Harry kissed her. "Anyway, thirty-seven is the new twenty." He kissed her again and again and again.

"I think you mean eighteen," she said through the kisses.

Harry laughed.

Thirteen years used to be a large age difference and now it didn't matter. It seemed like a big deal when you didn't have that many years on you, but the older you got, the more you realized none of it matter as long as you were happy. No one quite realized it when looking at the young. Now, it didn't matter. None of that mattered, not when you were happy.

Harry tried to take control but Lucy rolled on top of him. She kissed him deeply, leaving her lips on his skin as long as possible. Immediately he grew red from blushing. She left fire wherever her lips touched, leaving his skin tingling. Lucy kissed his gunshot wound of one year prior before returning to his lips. Harry loved every second of it. Reaching up, his fingers twisted in her short hair. Suddenly he sprung off the bed and pressed his lips to hers. The world exploded around them. Heat rose.

And it all ended as a knock came to door, but at least it wasn't a child barging in. Lucy rolled off of Harry and flopped onto the bed beside him, pulling the covers to their chins. "Come in," Harry called.

Freddie entered slowly. "We made breakfast downstairs."

Harry's face flushed red. "Thanks, kiddo," Lucy smiled. "We'll be down in a few minutes."

Nodding, he quickly closed the door.

Giggling like a school girl, Lucy turned to Harry and rolled on top of him again. She kissed him deeply. Her fingers ran along his skin, and she put her head down on his beating chest. They waited in silence for a minute before moving again and going downstairs.

Freddie and the rest of the children had made breakfast for their mum and dad and hadn't made a mess which was a success. After eating, everyone moved around as he kids got ready for school and they were sent off on a Friday. Harry and Lucy didn't take the chance to change yet, with neither of them having an event that morning or afternoon. Harry's birthday party tonight couldn't really be called an event, though many people would've been there.

After the children were off, Lucy took Harry's hand and led him upstairs. Silence filled the house but not for long. Harry shed his clothing. Lucy's clothing was already gone. Harry gripped Lucy as they moved to the bed and finally no one interrupted them. Happiness and love fell over the Kensington Palace before both of them fell fast asleep again.

Before the children even arrived home yet from school, both had showered and started to get ready. For Harry, it didn't take long. He was sent to go take care of the kids as they got home and start on their homework. Lucy stared into her mirrors and did her own hair and makeup. Eventually the girls and Henry escaped upward to watch their mum to her makeup.

Lucy's hand was still for once as she drew lines across her face and then blended them in. She arched her eyebrows and made her eyes look larger. Her lips became plumper with maroon red lipstick. Smiling, Lucy turned to them. The little girls had their makeup done by their mum.

"Henry, do you want your makeup done?" Lucy asked her son.

He shook his head.

She smiled at him. "Let me know."

Finishing up the girls' makeup, they ran off to change and she returned to the mirror. Lucy smiled and then frowned, repeating the process again and again. She sucked on her teeth, as if they would become whiter. Staring into her green eyes, she squinted and stretched. Those wrinkles weren't going away any time soon. She tried again to smile and frown. Leaning forward, Lucy focused only on her appearance, which was how she missed as Harry swooped into the room. He planted a kiss on her cheek and trailed down her neck.

"You're beautiful."

Lucy blushed. "Thanks, Prince Charming."

He laughed. "Can I really be called Prince Charming if I'm old?"

"You say that every year, and I say the same thing." Lucy stood and kissed him. She didn't want it to end, but she pulled back. "We have a party to get to." Lucy took a step away, but he pulled her back.

"What if we didn't?" he asked. "What if we ignored it and we got into bed?"

"I hope you mean sleep, because I'm tired after all of bed activities today." Lucy twirled her short blonde hair within her fingertips. "I'm all done up, Harry. Let's party."

She grabbed his hand and led him through the apartment. The children were all lined up downstairs and waited. Excitement filled the car as they chattered non-stop about the upcoming party, and the children rushed out of the car as other guests did too.

The extravagant affair had many royals and dignitaries from around the world, but not once did it seem like a high-society thing. Harry, though he didn't want a large 50th birthday party, wanted to keep it causal. Though people wore nice tuxes and ballgowns, the music and food spoke in different terms. The children soon rushed off to find their many cousins from Harry's side, which left Harry and Lucy to welcome all guests. Even after all this time, Lucy hadn't grown used to it and still hated it. Small talk wasn't her thing.

"Luce," Harry whispered, "dance with me."

She smiled and followed, thankfully taken away from the mass of people.

The slow music hummed with the high-piano tune and low cello. A soft voice hovered above both. Harry swallowed Lucy up in his arms and held on tight. Lucy didn't mind as she gripped him tightly as well. Neither of them wanted this moment to leave. Perhaps it would've been better if they weren't stared at, but this was their lives. They were constantly watched. And none would've been traded for another life or a better day.

Happiness and love filled the room. All anger and sadness left ago. This was the life they had been waiting for, when they would enter into the proper world of adulthood and know what to do. They didn't know everything, but they knew enough now. The rest of it was to come, and they would've figured it out together when they got there.

Kissing deeply, for all eyes to see, the moment lasted an eternity.

"I love you."

"I love you."

Harry and Lucy had survived so much, and neither were willing to let it go. They had built this life for each other in the land of watchful eyes. Somehow both had come out on the other side. Both had shed their armor and put down their shields. They fought with swords against the evil. They were royalty with crowns on their heads. They had no thrones, but that didn't matter to them.