Chapter 1 - Hope Ivery

"Oh, watch over me,
While you choose who you're going to be.
Oh, watch over me,
While you show the globe what you're going to be." - Dan Bull

"Here are your things, Mr. O'Conner," I smiled politely, handing the man a bag.

I stood in front of a two story house, the outside painted white while the front door was a bright cherry red. The man at the door looked to be in his early forties. He had slightly tanned skin with brown hair, wore a white dress shirt with black pants and shoes.

Mr. O'Conner reached into the bag, ruffling through the belongings before looking back up at me. He nodded with approval. "Thank you very much, Ms. Ivery."

"It was nothing, really," I assured the man. "Happy to help."

"Kids! Come get your things!" The man shouted, poking his head inside the foyer of the house.

A pair of squeals could be heard as a boy and a girl came rushing to the door. Mr. O'Conner pulled out a pair of hand held gaming devices, handing them to his children. Their faces lit up once they finally held their precious technological possessions after nearly a week of impatiently waiting. Before they looked like they were ready to be taken to the dump! Screens were cracked, buttons were missing, one of them was even nearly split in half! Now they looked completely brand new, like they were just bought from the store.

"Thank you, Hope!" They cheered.

"You're very welcome," I replied, my smile growing ever so slightly.

The two children scurried off deeper into the house as Mr. O'Conner handed the bag back to me before reaching into his back pocket, pulling out his wallet. "I owe you big time, Hope. Do you have any idea how hard it is to keep kids entertained nowadays?"

"They weren't that bad, were they?" I questioned, raising a brow at the man.

He glanced my way, giving me a blank stare.

I shook my head. "Never mind, don't answer that."

"Here you are," He spoke, pulling out five twenty dollar bills and extending the money towards me. "Buy yourself something nice."

"Hundred?!" I exclaimed, snatching the money. "But I only charged you half of that for the repairs!"

"Call it a tip for getting them fixed so quickly," The man shrugged.

"They're gaming systems, not super computers," I giggled, stuffing the money in my pocket.

"That they are," Mr. O'Conner chuckled in reply. He took a step back inside the house, placing a hand on the door. "Have a goodnight, Hope."

"You too, Mr. O'Conner," I waved, stepping down the front steps. "Goodnight!"

The man waved goodbye as he shut the door. I turned around, making my way across the driveway and out into the street, zipping up my leather jacket as a chilly breeze whirled by me, blowing my hair in the wind. It can get quite cold in Vancouver, especially during the fall. There's that, and if there's the chance you live right near the ocean.

But I had to admit, the view along the pier was pretty cool. Even more fantastic if it's a full moon.

As I walked along the pier, I took the time to shove the bag I used to carry the game systems back into my backpack before pulling out my headset, plugging it in to my phone. Music blared in my ears as I walked to the beat of the song that was currently playing.

I reached into my pocket, pulling out the money Mr. O'Conner gave me as I counted the bills. I still couldn't believe he had given me this much!

"I must be better at repairing stuff that I thought," I quietly muttered to myself.