Chapter 12

Chapter 12

That following Monday, since there weren't any seminars or meetings planned for the day that particularly stood out to attend, a group of us decided to explore the downtown area of Aruba. The group consisted of myself, Nicole, Ricky, Kevin, Tony, Bessa, Max, and the other writers from the Times.

I couldn't help but take this time to reflect the huge change in my life when it came to friendships. I had gone from solely depending on Madison, my best friend back home, as my only source of friendship, to this lot of people filled with the first group that I had ever met in New York who had become family, to the second group of people that showed the wild side of New York, and the newest group of people that I couldn't wait to get to know.

I had never been part of a any friendship group, but being surrounded by positive smiles and radiant personalities made me incredibly happy that I now had my own. More over, we were seeing the world together, experiencing things for the first time, being present for each other's best and worst moments. This is what friendship truly was. I was proud of myself for breaking out of that shell that I had wrapped around myself for most of my life, and now, was unafraid of meeting new people and trying new things. I had experienced the craziest days and nights of my life with the ones I walked along side now. There wasn't a complaint in the world I had about the friends I had chosen to open myself up to.

Sure each of them had their flaws, but that's what made them who they were. I certainly wasn't the perfect friend. But the most important factor to it all was getting through this life, hurdles and highlights, together.

As we walked along the edge of the city right next to the water, my eyes didn't know where to settle on. Every building was brightly colored, a flurry of yellows and pinks and blues and greens. Tropical fauna was found on every corner, even in the cracks of the ground and the splintered walls of the buildings. The salty scent from the water never left us despite how deep within the city we got.

The locals were warm and friendly, smiling through their naturally bronzed skin. There were children running around in the streets, playing with stuffed animals and talking toys. The street markets we came across were a plethora of handwoven bags, hats, and printed clothing. Nicole suckered me into buying a blush colored woven tote bag, lined with sea shells.

We took pictures, recorded videos of us (mainly Tony and Max) doing random things. Riley and Nicole even got one of the locals to allow us to take pictures with some of the colorful parrots he was doing a show on the side of the streets with. 

Max and I were howling in laughter when we discovered that the parrot that had been on Riley's shoulder, left a large piece of poop on on the back of his shirt. What was even better was that Max and I got pictures of it before Riley even noticed how damp his shirt had gotten.

"Why do I feel something wet on my back?" Riley pondered as me and Max were busy snapped selfies with it.

Quickly, Max stuffed his phone back into his pocket and we did our best to keep a straight face.

"OH MY GOD, RILEY!" Nicole shrieked before cackling, pointing at his back. "That parrot took a shit on you!"

"What?" Kevin and Tony both rushed behind him to see for themselves.

Sure enough, it took about ten seconds for everyone else to start laughing and before we knew it, Riley himself was bending down, clutching his stomach from laughter.

To be surrounded by the radiant energy of each individual only increased the happiness I felt. I looked around at all of us gasping for air, holding on to each other. I took a mental snapshot, truly living in this moment and embracing every second of it.