Chapter 25

Chapter 25

The next few days were a blur.

I barely saw Nate as he was running around making sure flights were confirmed, transportation was booked, and everything during the trip was accounted for. I had no problem with that as I was also occupied trying to enjoy as much as I could out of the sun and water before heading back to the busy city of Manhattan.

We were only going to be here for one more night so I made sure that everyday was spent by the pool, relaxing, reading, and relaxing. As a group, we spent our nights either in clubs or at the bar by the pool, taking advantage of being work-free and stress-free until having to go back home and forgetting what freedom felt like.

Tonight, I was going to have one final dinner with Nate before leaving. We hadn't spoken about anything since the announcement of the contest and I wasn't sure where we stood. Would things change once we were back in Manhattan and not isolated on an island anymore? It was easy to find time to spend together here since there wasn't much else to do, but back home, our lives ran in completely opposite directions.

There was a reason we hadn't spoken or seen each other in three years. Our jobs made it nearly impossible. Putting both on hold was an easy excuse to catch up and live through the same convenience we had as when we were both working for the same magazine.

And now, with the possibility of me going to Time magazine, who knew what was going to happen.

Oh yeah, Time magazine. I had been on a high since my conversation with the editor-in-chief. We had a set up an interview, first thing Monday morning after I come back from the retreat. I hadn't told anyone yet since I knew news of me potentially leaving Nicole and Ricky wouldn't go well. I also never even mentioned that I was even considering going anywhere to my boss before this retreat, because up until last night, I was perfectly content with where I was. I even saw myself moving up the ranks at the New Yorker.

For the past three years, it had been my real break. It was my home away from home. I spent more time there than in my actual apartment, countless nights awake and putting the finishing details to my articles to make deadline, and everyone there, I considered family.

My writing had grown significantly during my time there as well. Being surrounded by some of the most talented writers in the industry, it was like a plethora of knowledge and skill surrounding me every single day. I had world-renowned writers and editors as mentors on speed dial. The opportunity there had been nothing short of a blessing.

While I was beyond thrilled about my interview for Time magazine, the thought of saying goodbye to three years and closing that chapter in my life made my heart plummet down into the my stomach. I couldn't think about it without tears forming in my eyes.

All of this was the reason why I hadn't been able to tell anyone yet. I wasn't sure I had even properly processed what it all meant.

I went down to the lobby to meet Nate. I had no idea what his plans for dinner were - knowing him, I wouldn't even be able to guess.

"Hey, you," I tapped him on his shoulder when I found him sitting on one of the lounge chairs in the lobby.

He turned around and grinned from ear to ear. "You look amazing as always."

I stood there my red jumpsuit and wedges, hair up in a slick ponytail, and was almost weak in the knees. Nate still had his affect on me. "Thank you. And you don't look bad yourself."

He wore chino's, a white collared long sleeve shirt, and loafers. God damn, his hair. Lucious and curly and hugging his face so perfectly. That skin, tan and soft, as if daring me to run my hands all over him and-