Chapter 26

Chapter 26

That night, after Nate and I made love back in his bedroom, I watched as he slept quiet and peacefully, his bare chest rising and falling with every breath.

This was it. We were actually (and finally) together. It had been a long and bumpy road to get here, but we made it to this nonetheless. After a two hour conversation about why we had even tried to convince ourselves that we couldn't work out when all we had to do was just admit that everyone had made it hard for us to believe we could, we agreed that being together in a relationship was what we were going to do.

And no one could tell us otherwise.

I couldn't be happier. Despite what we've been through, Nate still knew how to take my breath away and ultimately, he made me the happiest I've ever been. He was right - without him, it was as if I was missing something in my life. As if I was just filling the gaps of my time with something to do until he appeared again.

I placed a hand on his cheek and stroked it with my thumb, his skin, just as soft and smooth as it looked. I let out a breath and smiled to myself. He was so handsome. But more than that, he made me feel like a strong and beautiful woman. He encouraged me to step outside of my comfort zone and do thing I'd never thought I'd do, made me feel things I never thought I'd feel for a singular human being.

No, I didn't need him in my life. I didn't need him to feel fulfilled and complete. But I wanted him him my life. I wanted to share stories with him, I wanted to experience new things with him, I wanted him by my side when life gets really rough, and I wanted to do the same for him.

My body and soul yearned for his touch, even after years apart.

This was true love.
___________________________

The next morning, I woke up in my own bed. I had left Nate in the middle of the night because I still had to pack my things since our flight back was only hours away. Nicole was asleep and completely passed out. She didn't even wake up or move once as I loudly threw everything in my suitcase together.

But I wasn't complaining. I wanted to keep the memory of what had happened that night all to myself for as long as I could.

"Good morning," I heard Nicole say. Then, I heard the sound of the curtains being drawn open and the light filtering in.

"Good morning," I responded back, feeling a smile creep onto my face.

"How was your date with-," Nicole paused in her question when she laid her eyes on me. "Never mind. I know that smile when I see it."

I covered my mouth. "What smile?"

"The I-just-had-sex smile," She answered.

I shoved my head underneath the pillows. Was it that obvious?

Well, it was more than just sex. It was love, it was passion, it was hot, it was heavy, it was...Nate.

It always had been.

Nicole had dropped the subject after that because she hadn't packed last night and now, had to rush in order to make it
downstairs for check out. I watched in entertainment as she ran back and forth, collecting her life together, trying to jam pack it into her suitcase.

"Why do I have so much shit?" She groaned, grunting with every step as she went to drop a pile of her clothes into the suitcase.

I laughed at her, sitting at my place on the bed with my suitcase and carry-on packed, waiting for her. "Because, as I said before, you're the definition of an over-packer."

She collapsed onto the empty floor next to my bed. "Help?"

I rolled my eyes at her and began to help her pack.