Chapter 17

Chapter 17

The next day, I skipped going to any seminars. Nicole left me to sleep in peace and I didn't get out of bed until after two in the afternoon. I figured now, I had given myself enough time to feel sorry for myself that I still felt this impacted by Nate after all this time, it was time to get control over the situation.

I showered, got dressed, let my hair air-dry and swiped on some mascara and lip gloss to look alive as possible, and went down to the lobby.

It didn't take long for me to find Nate.

I  found him immediately walking out of one of the conference rooms, speaking with an employee I recognized from Conde Nast. I tried calling his cell phone as I came down, but it went straight to voicemail. It made sense because he was probably sitting in on one of the seminars.

I stayed aside, waiting for his conversation to finish, until he saw me and quickly ended his conversation with the other man. Hastily, he rushed towards my direction and the longer I watched him, the more I could see the sincerity in his eyes and it instantly sent me a calming sensation.

Even if he did sleep with Chelsea, that didn't change the man I saw in him and the man he'd become. One night wouldn't change my entire perception of him. Not after everything we've been through.

"Hey! Are you feeling okay? You left in a hurry once you escaped the elevator from hell," He gave me a comforting smile once he reached me.

I couldn't help myself. I wrapped my arms around him and gave him a tight hug.

"Wow. Not that I don't appreciate the love, but is everything okay?" He patted my back supportively.

"Yes and no," I answered, finally letting him go. "Can we talk somewhere in private?"

"Of course," He answered without hesitation. "We could come up to my room but if you're uncomfortable with that, we can go to the little hotel cafe."

Considerate gentleman. Ugh. Nate.

"Why don't we go to the cafe?" I suggested, knowing this would be the safer route to go. "Maybe if we're lucky, another journalist will spot us and we'll be on the cover of People tomorrow morning."

Nate heartily laughed, extending his arm over my shoulder and walked side by side in the direction of the cafe. "Honestly, seeing everyone squirm around us is entertaining in itself. The other day, I saw one of the writers from the Inquisitor snapping a picture of me walking out of the bathroom by the pool and waiting around after to see if you would come out."

I scrunched my brows. "How do you know they were waiting for me?"

"Because I heard him say, come out Miss Monroe as I walked away," He shook his head and continued to laugh.

I grimaced. "That's really creepy."

"We are truly causing a storm here."

"Don't we always?" I roll my eyes as we entered the cafe.

Once Nate asked for a table for two on a balcony looking over the beach, we sat down in our chairs across from each other, the hostess setting menu's down before us. The waitress followed within seconds, asking us for our drink orders just as I was deciding if I'd order an iced tea. Or an Arnold Palmer. Or a pina colada.

Or about three shots of vodka.

"I'll have a margarita," I spontaneously decided. "Make it a strong one."

The waitress nodded at me. "And you sir?"

"I'll have the same," Nate closed his menu.

The waitress left with our orders and then, it was just us.